TechSpot

removing an eMail stuck in outlook

By The Best Alias
Feb 28, 2006
  1. First off, I personally do not use Outbreak or Outbreak Express. This problem is on a friend's computer. What has happened is that he got an offending eMail approximately 18MB in size and it has completely locked up outlook. I used mail2web to remove the offending eMail from the pop3 server but unfortunately there's a copy stuck in his inbox locally. When you launch Outbreak, the application locks up immediately and the CPU stays railed at 100%. I tried to open the pst file with notepad but he hasn't deleted an eMail ever from what I can tell. The pst file size is in excess of 1GB and I let notepad try to open if for 20 minutes before I gave up.

Does anybody have the magic solution? I'd like to help this man out w/o wiping out his address book and any important saved eMails.

Thanks!
    -Richard

2. peepnklown

peepnklown TS Rookie Posts: 126

You can backup his Outlook functions using these methods HERE
    May be you can help him migrate over to Thunderbird for his mail client.

3. The Best Alias

The Best Alias TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 113

Well that's a nice idea and all making a backup but, Outbreak locks up immediately upon launch, which means there ain't no clicking the export button.

4. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

I don`t think either of of these is a "magic solution", but might give you something to try -

BACKUP the original .pst before doing anything.

1.Repairing a damaged .pst file - http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm

2.Create a new profile,re-install Outlook in new profile,import .pst file.

5. The Best Alias

The Best Alias TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 113

SOLUTION:

step 1 is to remove the offending eMail from the pop3 server using a 3rd party web-based mail client. I used mail2web.com. This prevents Outbreak from getting a fresh copy of the offending SPAM when popping.

step 2 is to launch Outbreak from a command prompt with the argument nopreview. This is simply done by clicking run and typing "outlook /nopreview" ( w/o the quotes). The crash was caused by the user leaving the preview window open by default and the offending eMail was crashing in an attempt to preview 18mb of garbly-goop. Once Outbreak was able to start up, I simply deleted the offending SPAM.

I found the solution at http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/commandlines.htm

I have convince my friend to 1, clean up his existing eMail folders and 2, make the leap to Thunderbird.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.