Removing dual boot -- still confused

Status
Not open for further replies.
Old C: drive was dying.
Installed 2nd drive, install XP on it
Dual boot info is stored on C: drive.

I want to remove C: drive entirely.

I read what looks like contradicting info:
1. just delete C: partition and Windows will creat mbr on D: drive and make it bootable
2. OR, registry for D: drive will need letters D: changed to C: (?)

A. Can I have system with no C: drive? and it boots from D:.? Right now I boot from D: but C: is still visible and accessible
B. Will I lose access to C: as drive letter if I remove that drive?

When I removed C: and ran Windows Setup, Repair Console, and typed in fixmbr, I got dire warning that I might lose partition tables and all access to data. So I backed off. Is that what I need to do? Windows will create new mbr on drive D:?

I see that all the standard boot files are on C: and none are on D:.

You should backup your data anyway just on general principles if nothing else. After you backup your data to CDs, DVDs, flash drives, external hard drive, etc., I would just do a clean install of Windows. After this your old D drive will become the C drive.

So, i had this problem once when I Installed puppy linux as a dual boot on my laptop, I uninstalled linux and the boot option was screwed up, so I ran recovery and fixmbr and boom, problem gone, no problems, no data loss. Not saying you will have the same results but I agree with mailpup, backup important data and reload if you run into a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back