Removing Error Cleaner, Privacy Protector, and Spy&Mal Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stunt

Okay, heres the story. We just got our laptop back from a repair from a deletion of a file that wouldn't let the computer start. Getting it back, I went to my pops house, finding out that my brother installed "Cursor Mania" on it before it got repaired. This cursor mania brung up a virus that gives you theses programs:
  • Error Cleaner
  • Privacy Protector
  • Spyware & Malware Protection
They are all obviously fake programs. My Norton Internet Security 2007 coulnd't detect them. So I downloaded the free version of Ad-Aware 2007, it detected around 575 infections. I removed them all, restarted my computer, and they all regenerated back onto my destkop even after Ad-Aware 2007 removed them. I'm also getting pop-ups saying my computer has a virus and to get protection to click yes or no, it's obviously fake also. There is also a little red alert signal in my icon bar next to the time flashing always saying I have a virus. How can I remove this, I can't do a system restore, because it will give back the virus we had before with the file deletion.

You need to use multiple anti-spyware utilities as no single one removes everything. I recommend the following 3 programs:

• Ad-Aware 2007 (I saw you have this already.)
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware
All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet.

Also, since you are badly infected, run AVG Anti-Rootkit. Rootkits are separate programs designed to prevent the detection/removal of other spyware/virus programs.

ReRun Adaware 2007, SpyBot 14 and AVG Free Antivirus and Antispyware in SAFE MODE, immediately upon reboot after removing them the normal way.

In case you have not done it, you press the <F8> key repeatedly (about 1 every second or two) until Safe Mode comes up. Safe Mode disables most things but will usually allow the detection software to work.

Did it and it didn't work. I always get the virus to disappear but then it ends up regenerating on reboot. And the alert virus that gives me pop-ups never go away.

Very strange. Cannot help. Running all the scans again while in Safe Mode after a cold boot always takes care of it for us.

Hi

Very Important: Malware infections can possibly lead to identity theft, loss of funds from bank accounts, misuse of credit card information etc. Therefore I strongly encourage you to please read this thread HERE before deciding what course of action to take regarding your infection.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps given. Do follow all the instructions exactly. They will provide logs for analysis of your system so I will know how to instruct you to proceed.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste your logs if not it will be ignored and/or removed.

Also, please let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Stunt only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Well, here is my HiJackThis! Log:

Moderator Edit: Please post your HijackThis log as an attachment to this thread. Do not copy and paste if not it will be ignored and/or removed.

Hi,

You have not posted all required logs. Pleas post them as attachments. Also, have you decided if cleaning is the appropriate course of action you wish to take?

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

This thread is for the use of Stunt only. Please don't post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi,

It appears you have still not posted all the required logs. You have also not specified if you have read the advice and understood the risks in cleaning, and whether your decision is to format or clean. I request that you please do the following carefully. Please understand that we cannot take responsibility for any possible mishaps arising from the problems on your system, which is why I request you follow our instructions to the letter.

Very Important: Malware infections may possibly lead to identity theft, loss of funds from bank accounts, misuse of credit card information etc. Therefore I strongly encourage you to read this thread HERE before deciding what course of action to take regarding your infection.

Let me know if you wish to format or clean.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps given. Do follow all the instructions exactly. They will provide logs for analysis of your system so I will know how to instruct you to proceed.

Thereafter, please post fresh HijackThis, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste your logs if not it will be ignored and/or removed.

Also, please let me know the results of the AVG Antirootkit scan

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Sorry Momok, I don't know what all the required logs is, I ran HiJackThis, and posted the log it gave me. And the cleaning thing, alls I want to do is remove this virus.

Hi,

Click on this link >> link <<
Follow all the instructions (step 1-15) provided in the link. When you are done, you should have 3 logfiles, and the results of AVG Antirootkit scan.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

Check the website for Symantec Norton or McAfee. They list manual instructions on how to remove a particular virus.

Yes, they do, but we have found that they are not always successful despite what they say, so do not take their word for the fact that removal has been accomplished.
We particularly like the ones that are named and listed by Symantec. If they tell you, but do not have the infestation in their list, do not count on it being accurate or that your computer is secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back