Removing heat sink from CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonNagual

On behalf of a friend of mine:

Hey guys a friend of mine recently gave me a used CPU IntelPentium 1.8GHz I know it's not the fastest thing out there but I have a new unused MotherBoard some RAM an older Generic case. Anyway I want to make myself a PC just for downloading & holding my music & films. So the problem is as follows.

The heatsink is GLUED to the CPU. And the CPU cannot fit into the MB. This is the MB in question:

http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/GEPro_M2.htm

So basically if you look at the picture the heatsink prevents the CPU to fit in properly since the "black" rectangle is too small. So my question is is there something that I can used to "UNglue" the CPU from the Heatsink so I can just buy a different one?

Rather than glue, this is most likely an adhesive thermopad. Using something like a butter-knife or a spatula without any sharp edges, you should be able to squeeze that gently between cpu and cooler, thus separating them.
To get the thermal goo off the CPU you would have to freeze it, so you can crumble it off bit by bit. Then use rubbing alcohol or isopropanyl to really clean up the cpu-top.
Careful you don't bend any pins!

Another solution is to take a saw to the HS and cut off the offending parts.

If you have a tower case ten you have to make surre there is something holding up the HS - counting on the glue alone is not a good idea.

One other thing to cosider. The cpu will give you a second degree burn with the head sync attached. I may give you system a deadly burn without it. If you must modify it then cut the head sync to fit rather as suggested by Nodsu.
The "glue" that you refer to is important to the heat sync in that it helps to transfer the heat quicker away from the chip.

Good luck,
John L

This is easy. First remove the heatsink/chip unit from the MB. You will need a utility knife like the ones from a hardware store with the replaceable blades which have one straight razor edge side and a flat non razor side opposite.Now place the heatsink/chip on it's side over a clean piece of cloth or other soft material to catch the chip and position the razor edge of a new, unmounted blade at the juncture of the chip and the heatsink so it will wedge down between the chip and heatsink. A light tap with a small screwdriver handle onto the back of the blade will detach the chip which will fall onto the cloth. Check for pin alignment and your ready to clean it and reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back