TechSpot

removing the cmos passwd in nt,2k or XP

By rkarthik3k
May 29, 2002
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sir,
    I know in win 98 we can use debug to remove cmos password but in 2k i tried debug but i didn't worked even in safe mode & safe mode with command prompt please help me . This is to know things in win 2k & i don't want any 3rd party tool to do that
  2. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

3. Tweakster

Tweakster TS Rookie Posts: 224

No CMOS dosnt have anything to do with OS, BUT if Sis Soft Sandra and Norton can access CMOS why cant OS change CMOS.
    I read that u can change BIOS while computers in so theres no reason why OS cant access password such as VIRUS do.
  4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Yes, there may be some 3rd party software designed to indeed change your CMOS password, I imagine it's possible through your OS, but I've never heard of such a thing.

I know what you're talking about w/ Norton and SiSoft, I think it's just their own little device detecter system.
  5. Th3M1ghtyD8

Th3M1ghtyD8 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 794

Can't you just swap the clear CMOS jumper ?

Surely this would clear the password?
  6. Justin

Justin TS Rookie Posts: 1,595

Yessir... this more belongs in hardware then windows OS.

Anyways, if you have an ABIT board, if you boot while holding the INSERT key down it will clear the CMOS (or at least reset everything), but I'm not sure if that clears the password. However, on all motherboards, there is a jumper that will clear it on boot. Look in your motherboard manual for the jumper and the positioning. Don't forget to put the jumper back where it was (typically just don't short it, have it hanging off of one ping) when you are finished.
  7. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

You can write to CMOS memory with direct hardware access (real mode, Win98). Win2k and XP have 100% virtual hardware access and they just won't let you do it. If you have to make it by software, make a DOS boot floppy.

I suppose you could write a driver that lets you access the CMOS
    (assuming you are really good at low level systems programming. :p)
  8. guyferd

guyferd TS Rookie Posts: 42

which one?

setting CMOS password via OS? are you sure there is software which can do this? I only know 2 ways :
    1. swap the CMOS jumper
    2. Remove CMOS battery
    I think doing these way is better than using OS, coz.. you know that OS sometimes have a bug :D
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.