Removing WMP9 Final

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNGX1275

Removing and/or Reinstalling WMP9 Final

I know you can't officially do this, at least not without a System Restore. But I thought back when WMP9 was in beta there were some ways to remove it but they just weren't recommended for the average user. Well I think I may be able to manage such a task :) but I have done a google search and not came up with anything that pleased me.
So if anyone knows of a site telling one how to accomplish that I'd appriciate it, or if you know yourself.
Lets see if we can't end this streak of people unable to solve my problems :)

Edit: Clairification on why I need to do this:
When I was unable to solve my VPN problem I resorted to uninstalling SP1 (which did fix it). Well apparently WMP9 wasn't too happy about this, because now anytime I try to open anything (by double clicking) thats supposed to open in WMP9 it doesn't open. And I also cannot open WMP9 manually. So I actually don't need WMP9 physically removed, I just need to trick WindowsXP into thinking that its not there so I can get it from windowsupdate.com.

I found something for restoring the old version, dunno if it will help though

To restore Windows Media Player insert the the XP CD into the CD drive and type the following at the Command prompt:

rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection InstallWMP7 132 c:\windows\inf\wmp.inf

I have not tried this, so I don't know if it works.

Fixed, and in record time I might add.

Although that command line makes it look like its going to put wmp7 on and it put wmp8 on instead.
But that makes sense because XP comes with WMP8 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back