TechSpot

Rename a large group of files through DOS

By poertner_1274
Apr 9, 2005
  1. I have a large group of files that I would like to rename with DOS. I say DOS because if you use windows explorer to rename then by selecting them all and renaming one of them it adds in (1), (2), etc. And I cannot have ()'s in my filename.
    So I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to use DOS to rename these files all at once, instead of doing it manually.

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Topic Starter Posts: 4,172

Yeah I've seen a few of those utilities, but was figuring there has to be a way to do it through DOS, with a batch file or something. I'll look into that program though. Thx RBS.

4. RealBlackStuff

Here is the DOS syntax for rename or ren.
    http://www.computerhope.com/renamehl.htm

It is pretty limited though and in my opinion quite useless for multiple tasks.
    Your typing up the batch file will take longer than renaming them by hand.
    Can you give anymore specifics if (and mostly why) you want to do this via DOS?

5. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Topic Starter Posts: 4,172

Well it doesn't have to be done that way, I was just looking for a free alternative to those programs. Since they have to be doing it someway similar, albeit through a GUI. I know about the ren command, but I can't figure out how to get it to work.

Basically I am trying to get rid of double extensions on rar files. So instead of having filename.part01.rar, I will just have part01.rar and put them in the filename folder.

I guess you're right, a GUI program is probably the easiest way to go. Because I sure can't find any way to do it through DOS online.

6. RealBlackStuff

Check your Gmail.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.