Renamed files - XP won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Feeling a bit stupid here....

I'm running a Dell Dimension 9150

Yesterday, I renamed all instances of file psapi.dll to psapi.old and ever since windows won't boot. After many hours of searching I've worked out the offending file is found in the \windows\system32 folder.

In the good old days I would have booted from a floppy and renamed the file back using DOS but....

I can't find a boot disk (or boot CD) or any way to get to the DOS prompt.

So as a bit of background info:

I can't boot in safe mode
Restoring to last known configuration doesn't work - we don't get that far!
I don't have a floppy drive
I'm running Win XP service pack 2

All I need to do is rename \windows\system32\psapi.old to \windows\system32\psapi.dll

How hard can it be.......?

Surely not a complete restore....?

Regards,

Martin

SNGX1275 said:
Boot into the recovery console. If you need help go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Thanks for your quick reply - That's what I need....

I think I tried this earlier today but I only got the C: prompt, I couldn't see any directories. Also, the only drives I could see were G: (USB stick) and I: which seemed to be the boot image the CD created.

All other drives C-I were empty.

Any ideas?

A little bit more info...

When I see the

"The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer."

Message, I go straight to the c: prompt, I'm never asked for a password....

Might help?

Martin

Hi all,

a bit more info....

After I boot from the Windows CD and press "R" to get to the repair console, I get the following message:

"The Recovery Console provides system repair and recovery functionality.
Type EXIT to quit the Recovery Console and restart the computer."

I then get a "C:\" prompt.

I am never asked to "Which Windows Installation would you like to log on to
(To cancel, press ENTER)?"

If I then try any DOS commands all I get is "There is no floppy disk or CD in the drive"

Any ideas....?

Martin

More input

As an acquaintance of pcforum, I can add this info.

We removed the C: drive and connected it to a USB to SATA adapter on another computer. Now although it found a drive (listed in the Safely remove hardware box), it did'nt give it a drive number, as you would expect.

This meant that the drive could not be accessed, to rename the psapi.old file.

It seems very odd that just changing a single .dll file would cause these problems.

Any ideas.

Update

Ok Guys, need some serious help here....

SNGX1275, We are almost there. I can get to the recovery console but my hard drives are not visible. I didn't realise it before but the Dell Dimension 9150 uses a Raid 0 disk configuration. Obviously, the drivers aren't loading during setup.

I now realise, I need to press the F6 key to install SCSI / Raid drivers but if I do that, I'm only given the option to add them via the A: drive. This computer doesn't have a floppy drive. I have the drivers on a USB stick and I can put them on CD if necessary but I don't get the option to specify any other drive - any suggestions. There are two CD drives in this computer but no floppy drive.

Various people have suggested using a Linux live CD or BartPE - I've tried both and in both instances, it looks like raid 0 support is not provided. I've used BartPE and Ubuntu - both load ok but neither have raid 0 support so the hard drives are not visible.

So, we are so close now - I can boot off CD / DVD. I have the raid 0 drivers on USB stick. I'm sure all I need to do is rename the psapi.old file in the windows\system32 folder and all will be fine.

So, can anyone help.........

Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back