Renaming drive letters

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum_dragon

First I'll give the details, as this is the first time I have ever done anything like this. :D

After installing a new slave drive using Seagate's Diskwizard, this is now my current drive letter setup:

A: Floppy 1.44
B: (empty)
C: Master Storage
D: Iomega Zip 250
E: CD-ROM
F: DVD-ROM
G: (new) Slave Storage

Using Window's XP help, I was able to change the drive letters to this desired result:

A: Floppy 1.44
B: (changed) Iomega Zip 250
C: Master Storage
D: (changed) Slave Storage
E: CD-ROM
F: DVD-ROM
G: (empty)

This is prior to installing any new programs on the slave drive. I then restarted XP, and am now going to format the new slave drive. Two main reasons why I did this: 1) gives me a larger capacity boot up disk, as some boot up programs can be larger then a 1.44 floppy 2) I would rather have the master and slave storages setup with adjacent letters.

My question and concern is, will this cause any problems? Will XP be stubborn about having two boot up drives? As I mentioned above, I have not formatted nor installed anything on the slave drive yet. And I wish to keep the letters at the new change, it is more organized for me. Still, it was rather TO easy to change the letters (in Windows?) so that's what worries me. :)

I can't think of any problems since you haven't installed anything from your CD Rom drives yet. Let's see what others here might think of.

LNCPapa

I agree that it is very easy to change letters in Windows, which is one of the beauties of the OS. It shouldn't cause problems, but the only way to find out for sure is to test it and see.

As long as you haven't put data or programs or whatnot on it I think it should be fine.

Basically the A: B: and C: assigned drive letters are default in computing. They're set like that in the BIOS. Basically I think A: and B: are basically the removable 3 1/2 floppy disk formats (e.g. -Jaz, Zip, floppy, etc.) and C: - Z: are IDE/SCSI drives. It all just depends on which drive are the masters and slaves.
In my current setup, it goes like this:
C: - Master HDD on IDE1
D: - Slave HDD on IDE1
E: - Master DVD drive on IDE2
F: - Slave CD-RW on IDE2
I can easily attach my CD drives to IDE 1 and have them be C: and D:, but by default this just works better.
As for changing them in Windows, you're probably out of luck unless there are some 3rd party programs available.

In XP and 2000 you can rename the letters in the Administrative Tools in the Control Panel. Then go to Computer Management and Disk Management to change drive letters, format drives, etc. I believe this is what quantam_dragon has already done. That being said everything should go well.

Windows does let you do change the drive letters though I doubt its a great idea, just because its made by Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back