Renaming who the computer is registered to. Without formatting the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to figure out how to rename who the computer is registered without having to format the harddrive and reinstalling windows xp. I can't seem to find the correct file in regedit to do so. Can anyone help please! Thanks

You can change the name of the registered owner by going through this procedure:"

First, press START, then type or click on RUN and enter.

So far so good. Now type REGEDIT in the RUN box. then pess the Home key or you can choose My Computer from the REGEDIT menu by clicking on it with your mouse.

Now press F3 and type RegOwner in the search box. Wait for the search to find the key. This can take a while depending on the size of the registry and or speed of the system. When it finally comes up, right click and select MODIFY.
Now you can type in the Changes in Owner information. You can also change Company name from the section located above RegOwner if that is needed.
Now, with any luck at all, you can close regedit and reboot, after which, voila, you should find the changes you have made when you click on System in the Control panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back