Repair Install - no mouse/keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallie_s

Hi
Here is the problem I am having.
XP pro SP2 setup.
Friends pc - lost access to his DVD/CD drives. He messed with it quite a bit before he brought it to me.
I tried repair install and had the ASMS not found problem, as when xp booted there was no cd access. I fixed that problem by editing control sets in the registry.
Now I get to the Regional and Language options screen but the keyboard and mouse doesn't respond. Using ps2 mouse and keyboard. Also tried with USB mouse but same problem.
I am hoping to avoid the format and install option.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wallie

Backup the data off the drive you need then wipe the drive and install a new copy of XP Pro SP2.. You'll be at this for hours trying to figure out this riddle..

Update

Well....

Got past the mouse keyboard problem...with more reg editing.

Install completed fine but....

Now computer continually reboots at startup.... just gets a flash of the windows splash screen and pc reboots.

Its got a 20G drive with less than 2 Gb free. Could that be making the startup fail? This would be the first startup after the install completely finished .

Thanks
Wallie

Hi Wallie,
What registry settings did you change? I'm experiencing the same problem on a repair install for a laptop. Mousepad works fine till you press a key on the keyboard and then both lockup. The system is still running because the windows install propoganda flashes past in the background, but its impossible to enter the cd key to continue!

As for the reboots, I suspect the PC is bluescreening and configured to reboot straight on blue screen instead of wait for the user. Next time you start, press F8 and look for the relevant option (toward the bottom) to change the behaviour of your PC when it encounters such crashes.

Then you should be able to check out the blue screens cause and go from there. Alternatively, if there is no bluescreen and just a reboot (strange but true) you can use debug mode (F8 on startup again) to find the offending driver.

If the crashes are random, it could be a hardware problem such as overheating of a PSU. Get a fan and point it toward the open case and see if that helps. Hopefully though, you won't need to get to this stage.

Cheers,

Kon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back