TechSpot

Repair Install Xp Pro issue (missing file)

By rogue12
Jan 28, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Repair Install Xp Pro issue

Hi all,
    Ok, i did a repair install of Windows for a freinds computer, repair went sucessfully and said it would continue after reboot so it rebooted then after that i get message saying that c:\windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys is missing or corrupted. How could a repair install create such an issue?

Also i found how to fix this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555531, it says to copy ntfs.sys off win xp cd to hard-drive, but im worried i might get access denied when i try, should i be worried this will happen?
    Thanks for any help.
  2. N3051M

N3051M TS Rookie Posts: 2,800

you never know unless you've tried. And if MS doesn't mention anything about that specific problem on its faq, then i don't see why you should worry... unless you've encrypted your hdd in the first place..

btw, you might also want to run a chkdsk /f maybe...
  3. rogue12

rogue12 TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 49

Ok, I copied the ntfs.sys file successfully to hard-drive but problem was I had to use another windows xp disc to copy the ntfs.sys file to hard-drive as the original xp disc, the ntfs.sys was corrupted on it. (one i did repair install with).
    I then rebooted windows is starting screen appeared so the copy worked (ntfs.sys) then I get blue screen with error i think SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED(something like that), i believe it was the repair install not able to complete as i had to use other xp disc to copy the ntfs.sys to hard-drive. As this is the case i can't complete the repair with original disc install without getting the ntfs.sys is missing as it corrupted on it. What do i do to make it complete if the ntfs.sys is corrupted on the disc the original one?
    Also format not an option many important files on it.

Thanks for any help.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.