Repeating request for Unzip help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

Would somebody please help me? I did ask this some time back about giving me an "***** Guide" [me being the *****!] on how to unzip games, all I need is a VERY basic "walkthrough"....imagine you are instructing an absolute beginner to IT & give a "do this,then do that" list please, I started on computers last year & have learnt an awful lot, but can't seem to grasp this. perhaps it's my age, come on all you sharp minds out there, help an old guy out, PLEASE!!,I'm really stuck!
Many Thanks.

Well, you would probably only need to unzip games if you downloaded them.

Uh, what zip program do you use? Do you have on yet? I recommend WinZip.

I guess we can guide you step by step easier on your part if you tell us what Zip program you use.

Thanks folks, the details you want are in my previous unanswered messages, but to save you looking them up, here they are;-
I have WinZip [evaluation, free trial version} WinRAR, & Enzip. I have downloaded a file & it's Icons sit there tantalisingly, I say Icons, as one has the Enzip "Z"on it where I tried to install it, one shows a folder, another what looks like a pile of books, & a third just states the name of the file.
Hope you can now help, I know that this is just a few clicks away, & it's driving me nuts!!
Again, please remember, I would like a very basic guide, in easy stages [doh!] thanks in anticipation, then perhaps I'll get out of your hair [did I hear "hooray"?]

Uninstall winzip and enzip.

In WinRAR setup, make it handle all file types (options->settings->integration)

Right click on the "stack of books" file name, select "extract here"

Go get a cup of coffee

Unanswered?? :confused: I believe I took a couple of stabs at explaining this but aparently wasn't up to the standards you required :(

We get a whole host of people coming here, who have a variety of computing backgrounds, skills and levels of understanding.

I am sorry if you were a little disappointed by initial reactions to your questions, but please try to remember that people who post here to give help do so freely, out of the goodness of their hearts, with no compensation for their time whatsoever.

Also, it would perhaps have been better to have "bumped" up your initial thread by posting to it again, rather than starting a new one. I am not referring to any sort of established protocol in this case, or any unspoken rule, its just a good idea perhaps in this case.

I hope you aren't put off my any of this, and that you continue to post here. We value all members who behave themselves, regardless of their level of computing ability.

Anyway, I would download winzip.

Double click on the zip file.

Select ALL of the files.

Click on EXTRACT.

Point to the folder you want to extract the files to (maybe make a new folder for this).

Press OK.

To be honest, I have this question myself... a game - shareware or full version - Has absolutely nothing to do with zip files.

You should not have to unzip anything if this were a legitimate copy or demo.

Once you've installed winzip, or winrar, then simply right-click the file in explorer and select one of the unzip options. Same for zipping (select create zip). It doesn't get any easier than that.

A legit demo or something would be a self executing file, and would install itself after a few mouse clicks....And piracy offends me, so dont get angry at me for you trying to steal.....

I take offence at your suggestion, how do you know, maybe I can't afford the $20 [?]

Now now, no need to get angry, if you need money I'm sure you can find a charity that will help you ;)

Stormbringer, can you arbitrate on my behalf please,I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest, as regards the legality of downloading games from the Net, see vassil & Rick's comments, they both say that this practice is illegal.
How can this be? loads of sites offer free d/loads, perhaps they are comparing this to downloading music, if so, I'm with them there, but the comparison is flawed, doing this with music, has immense repercussions, the vast quantity d/loaded will, in time decimate the sale of CD's & is a serious matter, whereas, d/loading games is not in the same league! for example, I can't go into a shop & buy a game on a disc, & the same goes for a lot of PC games on the Net, look at those offered on your own site for downloading.
A thought,..... these people aren't winding me up are they? if so, I would take a dim view of it, especially as one is a member of your Special Forces

Another thing, I don't need a "now now"& "we can find you a charity that will help you" from 16 year old "vassil" [prat!!] how did he get on this site, & where are the TS bosses, I thought behaviour on postings are monitered, I know that I made an indiscretion a little while back, but was told about it.
WOW, I feel better after that, but right is right, but, Stormbringer, am I taking it all too seriously? I am loving TS, I recently avoided d/loading the fake Microsoft bug, because of a warning by Per Hansson, but the sniping by some empty-headed person doesn't encourage communications.

Well Maurice, they are correct, which is why your first post on the topic had the game bits edited out. I asked that instead of the moderator delete the post, he just edit it. I figured there was no need to deny you the info on using zip utilities, since the legality of the file was not really the object of your question. However, downloading anything for free that costs you money elsewhere is generally illegal.
A Demo of a game is one thing, the full game is another story entirely.

I was attempting to help when the first thread was made, and I did ask that a moderator give you a break and just edit out some parts so the question remained without mentioning any files, since there was question in my mind about it being legit, and in his after I asked him about it. I am sorry, next time I will refrain from trying to help anyone out at all, seeing as this second thread has been turned into an inquisition.

Maurice, I am sorry to say that people can have their opinions and as long as it is in semi-good taste it is allowed. Now if he had cussed you out or used racial slurs or anything that would be degrating to you, it would have been dealt with. But one thing that has to be remembered by everyone that browse's TS is that you cannot regulate people's opinions, you can simply moderate them for the baords to keep it as clean of a place as possible.

As Stormbringer has said we do not condone or discuss piracy on the boards, and since your original quesiton was really about the zip utility is why I changed the wording which still allowed for an answer to your zip question.

Please do not get all bent out of shape over this, and if you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks,Poertner1274, I have calmed down now,I see the points that you've put to me,very sensible,you have a well run site,sorry I caused a ruckus, it's my age I guess, I tend to take things more seriously than younger, more free thinking people,....hope you don't get like me as you get older, I'm sure you won't!!
One last word,then case closed as far I'm concerned, & thanks for putting me right;- I really didn't think that piracy was involved,& WON'T be doing THAT again, went to a website last night, prepared to buy the game, but the min specs didn't include XP, Ive had problems before with this, would you advise against buying?
Thanks for listening, TS for ever!!!!!

Originally posted by Maurice
Stormbringer, can you arbitrate on my behalf please,I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest, as regards the legality of downloading games from the Net, see vassil & Rick's comments, they both say that this practice is illegal.
How can this be? loads of sites offer free d/loads, perhaps they are comparing this to downloading music, if so, I'm with them there, but the comparison is flawed, doing this with music, has immense repercussions, the vast quantity d/loaded will, in time decimate the sale of CD's & is a serious matter, whereas, d/loading games is not in the same league! for example, I can't go into a shop & buy a game on a disc, & the same goes for a lot of PC games on the Net, look at those offered on your own site for downloading.
A thought,..... these people aren't winding me up are they? if so, I would take a dim view of it, especially as one is a member of your Special Forces

No offense of course, but are you daft? Downloading games was ILLEGAL waaaay before music was even AVAILABLE to download on the Internet.

I don't care how you justify it, but it is illegal, as been illegal, and will continue to be illegal.

I generally don't advocate this anti-piracy crap because I don't feel stronlgy enough about it, but what you're talking about here is blatant piracy. I don't have any problems with how you get your games, but I just want to make it clear that you are wrong when you say it isn't a "crime".

And music is much less harmless, in my opinion.

This thread should be locked or deleted once Maurice understands that software piracy really is a crime, despite how harmless it might be. ;)

I'm the last person to preach, but I find it absolutely amazing that you did not know or understand how it could be illegal... Or at the very least not nice.

Yes, it IS illegal. And don't forget it.

Maybe you'll still do it. But don't forget that its stealing, and that's its wrong. And the jury is still out on whether there is such a thing as victimless crime... probably not.

Would somebody at TS tell these people that I have already deleted the offending articles & this has been acknowledged [see your records of a message to me;3/10/03], I'm getting a little offended myself, by being called daft etc., I genuinely did NOT know! In my past careers I have held positions of great trust, [have any of you?] & would never knowingly go against the law.
I am particularly surprised at Rick, him holding the position of "Special Forces", doesn't he read later postings which would have cleared the matter up [who's daft NOW???] of course it could just be a technical "glitch", & my deletion was not complete?
Anyway, perhaps an apology would be in order, as far as I'm concerned, I put thing right, & the matter is now closed,....TS bosses, don't you agree?

No offense is intended, but I felt it is very necessary to make this very clear to you.

I care not whether you delete the files or keep it. Your downloads are our own thing and not much of a concern to anyone here at TS... But piracy (whether you know it or not) is not tolerated on this board in any form.

I do apologize if I've come across as unecessarily flagrant. My reply came from a window that was open since this morning, so the delayed repsonse was most definitely my mistake. :)

I say again [how many more times?] I WAS NOT AWARE THAT IT WAS PIRACY, or I wouldn't have attempted it, I assure you.
Yes, you did come over a bit strong, but I very much appreciate your apology, Rick, it probably wasn't easy, & I thank you.
Can we end this now, is it safe to do so, I ask myself, I do hope so!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back