Replace AM37L in emachines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, all. I have an emachined W1640 here, and in 3 days have had one intelligent conversation with the BIOS, and otherwise blank screens. Tried a AGP video card - gave me my one encounter with the bios - but after the one time, can't even get the floppy to cycle once.

DO I have any options beside a new motherboard or computer? What's the cheapest solution to fix this beast?

Thanks, ed

Those older emachines seem to be having an epidemic of power supply failures. You can get a PS tester for under $15. But the motherboard can be damaged when the PS fails. You can replace the PS with any ATX model, you dont have to get the replacement from emaxhines.

Yes, emachines has already sent the power supply, and I installed it, rewarding me with a spinning fan and hard drive - but nothing else for several hours.

Finally, without doing anything in particular, the bios briefly came up. Next boot - no life. So I wrote this thread.

But, now all the sudden it is running fine and has installed some 34 Windows updates and rebooted 3-4 times with no problem.

So, they may still need to replace the motherboard. Or, a couple bios changes may have been the ticket.

Since it has a new PS, and the drives, etc. seem ok, what is the best replacement for the mobo if it comes to that?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back