Replace floppy drive with flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
I need to install Win 2000 Server and Win XP Pro on a system that has RAID 0.
When installing, I need to specify the RAID driver, which must be on a floppy in drive A.

All of the floppies I have used recently are unreliable. They work fine for a while, then suddenly one day they don't work anymore.

In addition to this need, I want to transfer some files from an old computer that does not have USB, and no network connection. Another use for a floppy diskette?

What I want to do is replace the floppies with flash readers, so I can use my flash media (I have 64M and 128M flash cards I use with digital cameras)
I had thought I saw such a drive, that would simply replace the floppy drive and read various types of flash, but now, all I can find are USB devices.

Can anyone tell me where to find the product I am looking for?

Thanks

FW

Here's the answer: Keep the Floppy Drive

You could help it by purchasing brand new:
1. Floppy Drive (they're cheap!)
2. Floppy Drive data cable
3. Floppy Disks

All done :)

I did purchase a bran-new floppy drive. It works OK, but when I want to move files from another computer, with a different floppy drive, I have compatability issues.
Bran-new floppy diskettes too!

As for my RAID driver,perhaps my best option is to create an install CD for Windows 2000 Server that has my RAID drivers I have never done this, but I know that it is possible.

FW

Keep in mind that an internal flash reader that you would install in place of the floppy would not use the floppy data cable. It will likely use internal USB header pins on your motherboard. It's not a negative but I just wanted to point it out.

BTW, it might be that the floppy drive in the old PC is no good and not a compatibility issue.

Keep in mind that an internal flash reader that you would install in place of the floppy would not use the floppy data cable. It will likely use internal USB header pins on your motherboard. It's not a negative but I just wanted to point it out.

BTW, it might be that the floppy drive in the old PC is no good and not a compatibility issue.
Thanks for the heads-up. Perhaps many years ago, when flash readers first came out, there was one that could be connected to the floppy cable, but I haven't found anything in my recent searches.

I'll try burning a CD for the Win2K install with the RAID drivers. Otherwise, I will try some new floppies. The drive should be OK. It's fairly new, but I do have another bran-new one in storage.
When I bought the floppy drive, I bought two, since they were so cheap.

FW

I find this a common issue myself (bad floppies and drives, not so much the drive though)
I tend to only use the floppy drive for creating bootCds now (having the boot part on the floppy disk when the boot CD is created) I have gone through many floppy disks, but the old ~5year old bulky floppy drive of mine seems to never want to die. I believe it's the newer floppy drives (some being like a notebook floppy drive) just don't come up to scratch. But that's just our world of technology advancement with economy being the deciding force.

At the time those drivers are need, your BIOS will be accessing the device;
CD/R is common, but BIOS access to flash is rare or non-existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back