Replace new PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fimbles

Should i replace my 3 month old power supply? I have no issues with it, but am a little worried because it was a "cheap" one.

Its a HEC/ winpower 850 watt.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RETAIL-BOXED-...s_EH?hash=item20ac760353&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Ive read a few reviews about HEC power supplys in general and they seem to get pretty good reviews. My pc needs around 575 watts to run according to my gpu manual. Does anyone have any experience with this brand??

Thanks in advance!

Are you worried about the power supply damaging your system?

Here's a post by Raybay in a thread I read a while ago that might help you.

Be aware that there are 137 different power supplies by brand name, and when you include all the models, there are perhaps 400 models to consider. You have to look at the UL Label to find out if they are even legal, and some UL labels are fake. Out of the 87 brands, perhaps 34 ar worth considering. Elsewhere on the TechSpot forum, there is a long, and excellent list of power supplies by brand and model, and separates those by gaming abilities. Those with a valid UL number have been tested in the USA, but there are a lot of fake UL numbers… because who polices these frauds.

We get along quite nicely with Corsiar, FSP Group, Sparkle, and Seasonic as we have never had one fail.

Here is our list, and naturally, we expect some arguments on TechSpot: Some Good Ones. If you want a better power supply, pick one with dual rails, then sound out the people here on TechSpot:

ABS Tagem; Antecs except Antec Basiq and Antec Earthwatts; AeroCool; Azza; BFG
Coolermaster; Corsair; Enermax; ETA Sis; FoxConn; FSP Group; iKonik; iStarUSA; Kingwin; Lian; MGE; Mushkin (usually); OCZ (a favorite); PC Power and Cooling – Makes many of the very best under a number of brands, and if we could afford them, that is all we would use; PowerMonkey; Rocketfish; Seasonic; SevenTeam; Silverstone; Sigma; Sparkle; ThermalTake;
True Power; Tuniq; Vantec; VisionTek; WinSis; Xigmatek; Xion; Xclio; and Zalman.

Not So Good: ACBel; Antec Basiq; Antec Earthwatts (but there are techs on this list who love all Antecs without discrimination. Antec seems to have slipped, based on the large numbers of failed power supplies we see, but then, Antec sells a LOT of power supplies); Apevia; Apex; Athena; Atop; Bestec – Just plain awful; Bgears; Broadway; Coolmax; Coolermax; Cyberpower; Dynapower: ePower; Fellowes; HEC - awful; HiPer; HiPro - awful; InWin; KDM; Konik; LinkWorld; Logisys - awful; PowerCom; PowerMan – pretty awful; RaidMax; Rosewill; Startech; SunBeam; Topower; and Ultra (Some people on this forum like Rosewill and Ultra a lot... they appear to be the same power supply).

Thanks for the replies. Yes im worried it may pack up and take my other components with it.

Raybay has said that HEC is indeed an awful PSU. I cant seem to find a UL label, Though it may just be stuck on a non visable side of my PSU. Does this insinuate it is a pirate?

The problem im having is trying to identify exactly who makes it. The link i posted previously actually has a diffrent model number than my psu, Though it looks identical.

If i google the model no ( Win power EA4G-850) i just find the brand advance power supplies??

I would not worry that it was a fake. I posted that more to show the list of reliable PSU's verse those that are not so reliable or even terrible.

Hi...
I think you should if the problem occurs regarding that PSU then you must change it because while using computer you have problem coming of heat sinking and other... Thanks for sharing...

You should be okay IMO, since your system probably does not pull more than 400W. Even if the PSU is overrated, you should be on the safe side IMO. Just be sure you have some good airflow in the case, since some of these cheap PSU brands tend to use cheap caps that can't tolerate much heat.

Thank you for all the replies. My mind has been put at rest!

Ill keep hold of it for now since i do have pretty good airflow in my case, And upgrade when i upgrade to sli/ dx11.

You can also find lots of PSU reviews here:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13

As Rage_3K said your current PSU should be ok for now. You will probably want to replace it if you ever upgrade your video card and don't even think of maxing it out. Also these cheap PSUs tend to last 2-3 years (usually the life of the low quality filter caps in them) oftain taking out other components when they fail so you should be fine for now but you may seriously want to consider replaceing it in 12-18 months even if you don't upgrade anything. Generally as long as you stick to Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, FSP, Enermax, and the mid to highend Antecs you shouldn't have any problems as long as you get one with sufficient capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back