Replaced emachines power supply...system does not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice here would be much appreciated. My Emachines T1840 power supply failed. I replaced it with a Bestec 250W power supply (same part as the one that failed). The machine is getting power, but does not boot. The LEDs are on, but are flashing very rapidly. I have checked connections on motherboard, all appear okay. I did not replace the CPU fan. Now I'm wondering whether or not this is the problem...Please help! Thank you!
Here are system specs:
CPU Fan Type: CPU Fan, H/SINK:3713S,845G CHIP,W/PUSH PIN 2093
Power Supply: PS 250 WATT 1670
CPU: CPU , Celeron 1.8 GHz CPEMINCL2100
MB: MB, Imperial 2095
Memory: RAM DDR-RAM (128MBX1) (Max. 2GB) 1923
Video: Video, integrated
Prim CD Model: CDRW, SW-240B/TG9(R400) 2434
Secondary CD: DVD ROM SD-616T/TG9 2510
HDD: HDD 40 GB 1360
FDD Model: FDD, SFD-321B/LTGNQ FDEM2097BLCK

If you are in the USA, check that the PSU is set for 115V, if in Europe, check it is on 230/240V.
You sure your original powersupply failed, and not something else?

dead motherboard

I've heard from several computer shops that replacing the power supply on an emachines can kill the motherboard

Just because the PSU is the same watts as the original does not mean it delivers the same amount of power on the 12V rail. on the side of the PSU there is a label that tells you how many amps the PSU delivers ont he 12V rail. look and see what that is. it should be at least 15A for reliable operation. but I doubt that yours is delvering that much.

I agree with Iss. I never heard about "Bestec" power supplies. I really really doubt it can power the system correctly, or it`s just a faulty power supply (which happens VERY often with cheap power supplies)

I would bet on the motherboard being bad... I have an Emachines T2865 with a FIC AU31 motherboard installed. I am going to replace it with a Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L motherboard. This T2865 has a Power Q 250 Watt power supply

mcgov9 said:
Any advice here would be much appreciated. My Emachines T1840 power supply failed. I replaced it with a Bestec 250W power supply (same part as the one that failed). The machine is getting power, but does not boot. The LEDs are on, but are flashing very rapidly. I have checked connections on motherboard, all appear okay. I did not replace the CPU fan. Now I'm wondering whether or not this is the problem...Please help! Thank you!
Here are system specs:
CPU Fan Type: CPU Fan, H/SINK:3713S,845G CHIP,W/PUSH PIN 2093
Power Supply: PS 250 WATT 1670
CPU: CPU , Celeron 1.8 GHz CPEMINCL2100
MB: MB, Imperial 2095
Memory: RAM DDR-RAM (128MBX1) (Max. 2GB) 1923
Video: Video, integrated
Prim CD Model: CDRW, SW-240B/TG9(R400) 2434
Secondary CD: DVD ROM SD-616T/TG9 2510
HDD: HDD 40 GB 1360
FDD Model: FDD, SFD-321B/LTGNQ FDEM2097BLCK

The Bestec powersupplies that Emachines uses have no protection circuits and usually take the motherboard with them when they die. Your motherboard was likely fried by the old PSU.

PS: If you replace the motherboard (you may want to get a motherboard /processer combo to upgrade that old celeron)get a good powersupply like Antec,Enermax,PC Power & Cooling, or FSP so this won't happen again.

Emachines are absolute cheap crap. You get what you pay for. I have seen so many complaints and problems about emachines in the last year it would make your head spin. AVOID these computers at all costs.

I can't really argue with Tedster's comments. I am going to replace the power supply and the motherboard in the T2865 Emachines here, and other than these 2 parts, the case is a standard mini-ATX case. The restore disc is useless anyway, so I will see if the hard drive with it's XP installation will adapt to the new motherboard's chipset. If not, I will do a fresh install of XP, and activate it using the "telephone Microsoft" option if necessary

I did a Google search on my recent Emachines problem, and it brought me here to TechSpot... Doesn't Emachines use Norton Ghost to create their restore disc's? I have yet to find one that restore's at all

Yes luvhuffer,
but these restore discs will only work if you replace the motherboard with the exact $150+ Emachines motherboard... I think this would be a rather foolish thing to do. I've said before, I can replace the motherboard and power supplies for well under $150, but you have to have a copy of your operating system (XP, Win Me, Win 2000, Win98SE) so that you can do a "clean" OS install... Of course, I have all that's needed to do this, and Newegg is my parts supplier

One more note:
It's not the power supplies that take out the motherboards, it's the motherboards that take out the power supplies! Those Bestec supplies should all be replaced, but I've seen other brands in Emachines that seem to be ok. All the motherboards are crap though

Well I can't really comment on your model, but I have two machines running on the same set of Recovery disks. One is the eMachine with an ECS L7VMM, VIA KM266 north bridge and an AMD, and the other is a home built machine running on a PCChips M952, with a VIA PT800 chipset and a P4 Northwood. The recovery disks aren't dependent on the company installed BIOS to run, like a lot of proprietary brands, so any machine with a VIA chipset will work. At least for the recovery disks that came with my system. The PSU on the T2080 was replaced with a standard ATX 450W power supply. One other thing. The hard drives are interchangable, without reinstallingthe OS. And yes I realize that's not the case with 99% of the systems out there. Of course for legal reasons I should point out that the second machine is for a backup only, and not used. <g>

Half the time, my customer's either don't have a restore disc or the one they give me, causes more problems than it's worth, by not being able to be read or quitting half way through the restore. Time is money you know :)

Tmagic650 said:
Half the time, my customer's either don't have a restore disc or the one they give me, causes more problems than it's worth, by not being able to be read or quitting half way through the restore. Time is money you know :)
Oh yes, the dreaded cat scratched, chicken grease, peanut butter covered CD problem. I know it well. lolz

you should try buying a 20 pin power supply such as a coolmax v-400, or at least something besides bestec. They're poorly built, their fans run too slow, supply low amps and watts, and they get hot.

my parents used to have a t1840, which got struck by lightning last year. I kept the case to build another computer, and these cases will fit a good PSU and a mATX motherboard.

mcgov9 said:
Any advice here would be much appreciated. My Emachines T1840 power supply failed. I replaced it with a Bestec 250W power supply (same part as the one that failed).

If you're going to replace the PSU, I'd recommend avoiding the part that was faulty in the first place. Pardon my French, but Bestec is s***, and that's why it failed to begin with.

I recently replaced the junky bestec atx-250-12e in my parents emachines w2888 with a coolmax v-400. Now the computer has had a very good increase in performance, especially for a celeron. I never have liked bestec. They run hot, they don't put out sufficient power, and the fans commonly stall in them resulting in roasted components, swelled capacitors, and an irritating buzzing noise!

thebaronjocelin said:
If you're going to replace the PSU, I'd recommend avoiding the part that was faulty in the first place. Pardon my French, but Bestec is s***, and that's why it failed to begin with.
When the bestec blew in my moms t1840, it took the imperia mobo with it... now it's being used as a wall decoration w/ blown capacitors!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back