Replaced mobo, cpu, ram.. will not boot.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ...

I had a puter which either my motherboard or my cpu died on me. So I bought an AthlonXP2400+, Asus A7N8X, and a stick of Kingston RAM to go along with the Western Digital drive that was already in there.

I had to know if it was the chip or the board that died, so I installed the Athlon T-bird 1.33 chip in the board and turned it on. It was posting, but it said "Warning: CPU have been changed!" It wasn't even posting before, so I was happy to even see see it do this. So then I put the new chip in. I booted up and it said the same thing. So I went into BIOS and set everything back to defaults and that stopped. So now, when it posts, it detects the old 1.33 processor speed that I had tested in there (1700+? I think). Then after it posts, I get a stop error and it says A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage. It tells me to check for virii and remove newly installed hdds or hdd contollers and to run checkdisk. It does this when I boot into safe mode also. So in case, I put it on my other computer and ran tests and it was fine. I had an extra hdd that I tried in the new computer and it immediately gives me an error "NTLDR is missing" and tells me to his control +alt +delete to reboot. Im assuming I have all kinds of settings messed up in the BIOS or something. Can anyone shed any light on what is happening to me? :(
Thanks
Nicki

I get a stop error and it says A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
Windows 2000 and Windows XP will not run if your chipset changes (different motherboard than Windows was installed on). You will have to do a system repair. Instuctions on how to do this are on the Windows forum https://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8356

So now, when it posts, it detects the old 1.33 processor speed that I had tested in there (1700+? I think).
You may have to increase the FSB from 100 to 133 or 166MHz.

I had an extra hdd that I tried in the new computer and it immediately gives me an error "NTLDR is missing" and tells me to his control +alt +delete to reboot.
This means the drive has been made bootable, but is lacking a bootable operating system.

i am doing the same thing, if i make back up disks of the programs i want and just wipe out my hard drive then reinstall windows would it save any time and trouble?

snowman, yes it would. Don't forget to backup your address book, and bookmarks :) you'll still need to install your apps from the install programs. What I usually do is zip up my program folders and then install the program and then unzip the old files over it. that way I keep my prefs, reg code and other things that would otherwise have to be re-entered. It doesn't work for all applications though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back