Replaced motherboard, windows booted a few times, now it won't load windows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got done replacing the motherboard & power supply on my Dell Dimensions 4600 a few days ago. I replaced them because they had burned up and my computer would not even powerup (a new power supply did not fix the problem). Anways... I have new problems now...

So, it booted fine for a few days and worked great after i had replaced the MB and PS. Then today I get a couple "blue screens of death" that made me restart a few times. I also got a few windows errors when I tried to open My Computer. I didnt think they were that big of a deal because i had gotten these errors before with no following consequences. Now, after the 4th blue screen of death and 4th time restarting, it won't restart. It simply goes to a blank screen after the Dell bios splash screen appears.

I have 2 maxtor hard drives- 80 gig and 20 gig. I have not made any changes to my computer in the last few days. For RAM I have 3x128meg and 1x256meg. I already took out my harddrives and made sure they were connected correctly- both are set to cable select with the jumpers. I am real close to formating the HD and reinstalling windows....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If you replaced the Mobo with a different brand / version of the one you had before. You'll have to reinstall Windows anyway.
Different drivers and settings.

Electrick Gypsy said:
If you replaced the Mobo with a different brand / version of the one you had before. You'll have to reinstall Windows anyway.
Different drivers and settings.

I thought it was the same, because it was under warranty and Dell sent me the new one, but maybe there is some minor change (although I cannot tell visually...the numbers on it that indicate different parts (i.e. J6J1 for CD drive connector, and everything was in the same place). I guess I will be reinstalling windows....

the bios maybe diff version
sometimes you can use your repair featue on the OS disc
when it first boots and promps you what to do
don't do the repair from there load the os and it will find the system and ask again if you want to repair ,this is where you use the repair tool
may get lucky and it will load defaults
so you can get the new MB drivers needed to fix system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back