Replaced my emachine mobo with a different one. Can't start windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

My emachine (T2245) mobo got fried. I had to purchase a new mobo ASUS P5LD2-VM DH which I had eventually had installed. The problem comes in during Windows XP(home edition) boot up process. My HD was configured under the old mobo. Now, i understand that in order for my windows to boot up i need to ran wind XP cd, and to use windows' "repair comand". I have tried using windows xp restore cd which was originally supplied with the old mobo and it had not worked. Then i went to a friend a borrowed windows XP cd to try to format my HD. So what i did is that i used a computer to boot up from a CD. After the installation starts it goes through drive installations and after that the message comes up stating that: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage.....Technical information:
*** Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005,0x8081A343,0xF7A260D4,0xF7A25DD4)

My question is: whether there is something wrong with my HD? or the way i had connected my new mobo? or there is a major problem with my mobo? or there is a compatibility problem since my HD was configured under my old emachines mobo? and what is the best way to get it fixed?

Thank you

Many hard drives will not run Xp that was on another motherboard, so that's fine. As for the other problem, I don't know.

MarkP said:
Hello,

My emachine (T2245) mobo got fried. I had to purchase a new mobo ASUS P5LD2-VM DH which I had eventually had installed. The problem comes in during Windows XP(home edition) boot up process. My HD was configured under the old mobo. Now, i understand that in order for my windows to boot i need to ran wind XP cd, and use windows repair comand. I have tryed to use my windows xp restore cd which was originally supplyed with the old mobo and it will not work. Then i went to a fiend a borrowed windows XP cd to try to format my HD. So what i did is that i used a computer to boot up from a CD. After installation starts it goes through drive installations and after that the message comes up stating that: A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage.....Technical information:
*** Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005,0x8081A343,0xF7A260D4,0xF7A25DD4)

My question is: whether there is something wrong with my HD? or the way i had connected my new mobo? or there is a major problem with my mobo? or there is a compatibiliti problem since my HD was configured under my old emachines mobo? and what the best way to get it fixed?

Thank you

Thinking that you are using a standard IDE connection setup for your emachine make sure Pin1(Red cable) is on Pin1 of hard drive. Also I have instaled new motherbords into machines without using recovery console by just instaling new device drivers.

...I can not get to the screen which will allow me to format my HD, the windows installation fails before that.

You'll have to use a bootable floppy loaded with a floppy version of Seagate's DiscWizard or a Windows 98 start up floppy. This will allow you do diagnose or format the drive in DOS mode. You can make bootable CD's with these utilities included, but it takes a working computer with a burner to do.

One other approach:

Take the drive out and test it in another system, or set it as the primary slave and get another drive to set up as primary master and see if you can format and install XP on that one from the CD ROM

According to DiscWizard Starter Edition my HD is alive. So what i've decided to do is to erase all data from HD through the use of DiscWizard Starter Edition and hopefully this will allow me to install fresh version of windows Xp on it.

Hello MarkP, sure it's alive and kicking, all you need to do is a complete format to the HDD, then delete and create a Partition on your HD (to avoid any problems), you can do this with Partition Magic or any other software on any working computer when you select your HD as slave, then install your HD back on your computer, go to the BIOS and set the boot priority CD-ROM first, make sure the BIOS see the HDD, then put the windows cd and try to install, should work ok now. Don't try to install windows with a different MOBO and then switch to yours, most of the time will give you trouble like that error message, and not even windows repair console will be able to fix that (most of the time, not always). I assume all your cables are well connected since your HDD is visible on BIOS menu, anyways wrong connection IDE cable will never give you that error message. Good Luck

You should also consider burning a copy of the Memtest86+ CD iso image. Run this over night and see if it picks out any memory errors.

Stop errors during the format/install process can be from ill configured memory settings in the BIOS or similar. Running Memtest86 from it's bootable cd config will isolate if your memory is good, made the swap okay and/or you have the BIOS settings correct for your CPU/memory.

Tmagic650 said:
You'll have to use a bootable floppy loaded with a floppy version of Seagate's DiscWizard or a Windows 98 start up floppy. This will allow you do diagnose or format the drive in DOS mode. You can make bootable CD's with these utilities included, but it takes a working computer with a burner to do.

One other approach:

Take the drive out and test it in another system, or set it as the primary slave and get another drive to set up as primary master and see if you can format and install XP on that one from the CD ROM

Regarding Seagate's Disc Wizard(SDW). I used a floppy with this program as a boot drive.
My first trial was to format my HD using a "format comand" which was available in SDW. After some time formating of my HD was complete, it instructed me to reboot my computer with the windows xp CD in the cd-rom drive. So I did that, but when it was just about to boot from a cd, an error message appeared. It stated that some sort of a file is missing.
My second trial was to erase all of the data from my HD by using a different comand which is also available in SDW. It took about 3-4 hours to erase the entire data from my HD. I had had assumed that by not having any data on my HD, I shall easily install a fresh copy of windows XP. I had had inserted my windows xp cd into the cd-rom and used 'boot from cd' command in bios. Since my HD had alredy been emptied, at last I thought, "nothing should go wrong now!" Unfortunately after some time same thing appeared stating the same "*** Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005,0x8081A343,0xF7A260D4,0xF7A25DD4)"

A good thing that my HD is working, since I had been able to erase the data from it, but I still can't figure out the reason, which prevents my computer to install a new version of windows XP.
Sorry for a late reply.

My third trial will be based upon the idea suggested by rmdl51. Eventhough I intend to do that, and eventhough I have a second computer which has the windows 2000pro installed on it, I'm still not shure if I can use it to format my HD as a slave, and then use it on my other computer in which I intend to install windows XP. My point is, by having my HD formated in wind 2000pro system on my second computer will the same HD be able to function after I'll reinstall it back on to a computer with different mobo and a CPU? wouldn't it be the same thing what happens now?
I'm fairly new to this, and I'm frustrated and under a lot of stress at the moment, so if I forgot to post some sort of info, feel free to let me know.

Thanks in advance to all.

My guess is that the memory sticks that you are using are not compatible with the new motherboard. Check what kind of memory modules you have and check what the motherboard will accept.
It is only a thought, I hope it will help.

Also, you may want to check Microsoft help for this error message, Go here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330182

Your HD will work fine when you format in any computer and then move it to a second computer, just make sure you use same file system (for 2000 and Xp are the same NTFS). If you already format the Hard Drive and no errors ocurred, then you shoudn't worry about reformat your HD again, try what previous posts suggested to you, check your Ram, if you can just install a different stick and try to install windows again, if still same error then my theory is that MOBO has some problem, could be a defect or compatibility issue. I hope this Helps

rmdl51 said:
Your HD will work fine when you format in any computer and then move it to a second computer, just make sure you use same file system (for 2000 and Xp are the same NTFS). If you already format the Hard Drive and no errors ocurred, then you shoudn't worry about reformat your HD again, try what previous posts suggested to you, check your Ram, if you can just install a different stick and try to install windows again, if still same error then my theory is that MOBO has some problem, could be a defect or compatibility issue. I hope this Helps

I'd had formated my HD, but unfortunately it had not helped. Tomorrow i will try to get a different ram stick and see...
During a non quick boot up process i've discovered this error "RAM R/W test failed" according to e-net sources it has something to do with memory stick therefore my only solution is to try a new stick.
Thank YOU all.

I've replaced my memory with a new stick and so far there has not been any error messages such as the "RAM R/W test failed" but i still can't install windows it keeps giving me "STOP *** Stop: 0x0000007B" i'd noticed that the error message slightly changed. Right now it's telling me that there is ither a bios virus or there is something wrong with my HD's. I've tried changing HD jumper settings nothing works. What's wrong now?

Thank you

rmdl51 said:
Hello MarkP, sure it's alive and kicking, all you need to do is a complete format to the HDD, then delete and create a Partition on your HD (to avoid any problems), you can do this with Partition Magic or any other software on any working computer when you select your HD as slave, then install your HD back on your computer, go to the BIOS and set the boot priority CD-ROM first, make sure the BIOS see the HDD, then put the windows cd and try to install, should work ok now. Don't try to install windows with a different MOBO and then switch to yours, most of the time will give you trouble like that error message, and not even windows repair console will be able to fix that (most of the time, not always). I assume all your cables are well connected since your HDD is visible on BIOS menu, anyways wrong connection IDE cable will never give you that error message. Good Luck

In order to format my HD does it have to be a Partition Magic? Can't i just use Run/diskmgmt.msc and format my HD using that?

You can use diskmgmt.msc to format depending on the size of your disk. You can also use the disk utilities from the HD manufacturer which can be downloaded from their sites

Yes, you can use any software designed to format and/or partition your HDD. I just quote PM because I use that software to prepare HDD's or sometimes I use the Maxtor or WD utilities, those will do the job too. Good Luck!

Ok, i had tried every possible combination (setting jumpers on HD's, trying each HD individualy, disconecting other hardware as well as every possible setting in bios setup) and nothing seems to work. I get HD configuration error (Stop: 0x0000007B) during win XP installation. I suspect that there is a problem with the new mobo, therefore I had decided to return or exchange it.

I have finally managed to get it fixed. One problem had turned out to be a wrong memory stick. The other is that I did not know how to install windows. After a couple of hours of trial and error method usage, I had managed to get it running.
Thank you for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back