Replacement lamp for scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fw2004

Hi;
My Canon 8400F is acting like the lamp is going bad.
It works for a while when first powered on, then I get the "waiting for lamp to adjust" message and it just sits there.
I can see that the lamp is lit, but maybe it's not bright enough?

If I shut the scanner off, then turn it back on a minute later, I can get it to work for a few more scans until the lamp message comes up and won't go away.

I have noticed for the past year that I have to wait a bit longer for the lamp to adjust, so I do suspect the problem is the lamp.

Is this something I could buy, for less money than a new scanner? I know how inexpensive scanners are these days, so maybe it's not worth the trouble.

Thanks

FW

I'm sure you can, provided you know how to remove the old bulb so you can get the bulb number from it. If you go to a place such as: http://www.bulbdirect.com/, I'm sure they have what you need. If you can't figure out the bulb number, you can always contact Canon for a replacement.

When replacing this kind of high intensity bulb, don't touch it with your bare fingers. You want to avoid getting any oils from your hand on it.

Easier and smarter to buy a new scanner... they are so incredibly inexpensive nowadays.
After you find the lamp, and pay for it, and for shipping, you can pay more than it costs for a new one... besides, you have to figger out why that unit failed... because they rarely do.

Easier and smarter to buy a new scanner... they are so incredibly inexpensive nowadays.
After you find the lamp, and pay for it, and for shipping, you can pay more than it costs for a new one... besides, you have to figger out why that unit failed... because they rarely do.

Sounds like the smartest choice. For all I know, the problem may not be the lamp, but something in the circuitry.

When the unit is first powered on, it will work reliably for about an hour or so.
Then, it starts to take a long time to "adjust" the lamp, but eventually will do the scan.
I have found that if I shut the unit off after every scan is complete, then turn it back on before the next scan, the waiting period for lamp adjustment is normal (only a few seconds).

I have been scanning old photographs, and have a thousand more to scan, so if this scanner is going to go completely, it should happen soon <g>

Any suggestions for a good, inexpensive unit that will scan slides (as well as everything else)?
That's one thing I like about the 8400F. It will do slides and film.

FW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back