Replacing a bad HDD, how do I xfer data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TangoTrolly

Hello everyone,
I have an HP Pavilion with a a single 120Gig Samsung HDD, running Win XP SP2. The HDD has two partitions with C: as the main working partition and D: for the OEM backup and restore software. Recently I have been getting SMART messages before Windows starts, stating that the SMART Status is BAD. Ran PC Doctor HDD test and it shows the same, giving me a status code of HDD535-S1.

Looks like I have to replace the HDD. So I immediately backed up the Documents and Settings folder. My question is, when I replace the drive, how do I get my operation system, programs, and files onto the new drive. Do I have to purchase Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to transfer everything or do I have to purchase a new version of Win XP and reload all my programs?

Thanks in advance for your help
Tony

First, isn't the hard drive under warranty? If HP replaces your HDD, then they will also fill it with the factory installtion of Windows and friends.

Assuming that the data on the disk is readable, you can use any disk cloning program. The DiscWizard from Seagate is free.

You do not have to buy a new version of Windows XP to reinstall it. You can ask HP for a CD or possibly extract the CD image from the restore partition or even "borrow" or download an OEM Windows CD.

Nodsu,
Thanks for the advise. The machine is no longer under warranty.

The HDD is still functioning and I will look up DiskWizard to do a cloning. I also have an OEM Windows CD. My other concern was reinstalling all my programs, but cloning may take care of that.
Again, thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back