TechSpot

replacing a case fan (help needed)

By ykad
Jun 30, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an Enlight 7250 case and wanted to replace the pre-installed case fan.

However, I just found out that the fan is directly connected to the PSU (i.e. no 3-pin or 4-pin connector whatsoever). The only way to "unplug" the fan is to cut off the cable linking the fan and the PSU. Is that a wise thing to do?

thanks,

ykad

2. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

Are you comfortable fitting it with a connector after you cut it? If so then go ahead, just make sure you check the rating on the fan to be sure its not using a nonstandard voltage.
    If you aren't comfortable doing that then don't.

3. ykad

ykad TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the suggestion.

Since the new fan will come with a connector, I am not really worry about connecting the cable.

My primary concern is, if I cut off the cable and leave it there, it might cause a spark and start a fire or short circuit ( I am not sure if this is possble).

ykad

4. ---agissi---

---agissi--- TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,384   +15

Good question ;)

If I were you, I'd do what SB said, but where the fan hooked up to the PSU, just match the grounds with the eletrical circuits and it should just make the curciut as if the fan was connected should it? [get this approved by SB]

5. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,871

The only problem I see with terminating the leads is that the circuit may have a feedback loop or speed sensor. If this is the case then the PSU may not work without a fan connected to that circuit. This is a type of safety mechanism.
    If there is no feedback loop or no sensing of the fan speed then there should be no problems terminating those leads, or just putting a connector on them and leaving them unused.
    You don't want to leave them just clipped though.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.