Replacing Caps on MoBo....any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOcRatEs

I have several AOpen socket 478 400/533fsb boards that all have 2 larger caps
bulging and or leaking. They are in between the I/O ports and Cpu socket, see pic.
Am I getting in over my head or is this do-able?
Thanks!
aopen.jpg

You can do it no problem even if you have never held a soldering iron before :)

At all times, make sure you don't overheat anything. Keep the contact with the soldering iron to the minimum.

When removing the capacitors, note their orientation: the marked side is - and if you put the new capacitor in the wrong way then its expected lifetime can be measured in minutes or seconds. Clean the mounting holes with a paperclip or a hairpin right after you remove the capacitor.

When shopping/looking for replacements, make sure the voltage rating is the same or higher than the originals. Capacitance-wise you may get away with a little less, but anything above the original rating will work. You will also save yourself a lot of headache getting new caps that are the same physical size as the originals.

Put the replacements into the cleaned out holes (watch the orientation!) and clip the leads to size (if you salvaged some old caps from somewhere, then there's nothing to clip). There may be enough solder left in the holes so you don't have to add any yourself. If you do need some extra, keep the quantity to the minimum.

Thank you Nodsu!
I have several 2.0g celerons to build and wanted to use these boards.
That covers it quite well. I wasn't sure of any hidden stuff.
So higher rating is ok just not lower.
I have a de-soldering iron avial. to me.

a little tip (probably covered in mailpup's link) on soldering...

dont overheat/burn the tip, solder or parts
clean your soldering iron tip regularly with a wet sponge
use blu tac to hold the board still.. and its antistatic :)
be careful not to bridge things when you place the solder on teh board (get yourself a solder sucker if needed)
use a multimeter to check that your connections are ok...

happy modding :)

oh yeh.. be prepared to do say/go "ah *****!!" a lot when you accedentily burn yourself with the hot soldering iron :hotbounce :D :p

update= SUCCESS!!!

It really was quite easy.
I now have 4 good boards to build!!
Nodsu
mailpup
N3051M
Thanks for the tips, links and encouragments!
I got new rather than scavenged caps, rated a little higher
from 8v to 10v.
De-soldering iron is a big plus, no burned human digits :hotouch:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back