Replacing failed on-board video w/ sound card on HP Pavilion 502n

Status
Not open for further replies.
My HP Pavilion 502n has on-board video. The computer turns on but will not display anything on the monitor- it'll just put the monitor to sleep. I tried 2 monitors and it has the same affect on both. I tried both monitors on another computer and they both work fine on it, which makes me think that the on-board video unit has failed.
how can I disable on-board video using "device manager" when I can' t see the display? I'd like to replace it with a video card- do I just install a sound card anyway and hope that it'll work?

Thanks.

~Emil

You don't replace a graphics with a sound card. They're two different animals. Sure, you can install a sound card but you'll only get sound out of it. You replace graphics with a graphics card.

If you only use your computer for the Internet or other word programs (And don't have Vista) then you can probally just pick up a PCI Graphics card on Ebay or off of newegg or any other online reseller.

I'm sure that you mean 'replace or install a video card'. I used to own a 502N and I remember that it has no video card slot except PCI. This makes it a bad idea to install a video card in this machine. At this point in time, a 502N is cheaper to replace than try to repair.

haha. Yeah, I meant, "video card".... sorry.

So basically, I'm left with installing a PCI graphics card or just buying a new computer. Wow. OK... thanks all.

~E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back