TechSpot

Replacing failed on-board video w/ sound card on HP Pavilion 502n

By herrsandmann
Jan 1, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My HP Pavilion 502n has on-board video. The computer turns on but will not display anything on the monitor- it'll just put the monitor to sleep. I tried 2 monitors and it has the same affect on both. I tried both monitors on another computer and they both work fine on it, which makes me think that the on-board video unit has failed.
    how can I disable on-board video using "device manager" when I can' t see the display? I'd like to replace it with a video card- do I just install a sound card anyway and hope that it'll work?

Thanks.

~Emil
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,432   +218

You don't replace a graphics with a sound card. They're two different animals. Sure, you can install a sound card but you'll only get sound out of it. You replace graphics with a graphics card.
  3. Stick'o ram

Stick'o ram TS Rookie Posts: 233

If you only use your computer for the Internet or other word programs (And don't have Vista) then you can probally just pick up a PCI Graphics card on Ebay or off of newegg or any other online reseller.
  4. pdyckman@comcas

pdyckman@comcas TS Rookie Posts: 718

I'm sure that you mean 'replace or install a video card'. I used to own a 502N and I remember that it has no video card slot except PCI. This makes it a bad idea to install a video card in this machine. At this point in time, a 502N is cheaper to replace than try to repair.
  5. herrsandmann

herrsandmann TS Rookie Topic Starter

haha. Yeah, I meant, "video card".... sorry.

So basically, I'm left with installing a PCI graphics card or just buying a new computer. Wow. OK... thanks all.

~E
  6. Stick'o ram

Stick'o ram TS Rookie Posts: 233

PCI cards are cheap.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.