Replacing GeForce 4200Ti-to what??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry_Beast

My card fried--fan seized -computer crashed!
I have spent 2 days researching a new card. I have an 8X AGP slot-but my power supply is only 300w with a max of 12v at 10amp.
From what I've read-this means no GForce 6600 or 6800!!
I would at least like a card a little better than what I had-- I did lag a bit in counterstrike and halo.
The 4200Ti had a core clock speed of 250 and memory clock 550 (so says the spec sheet)
Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am going thru game withdrawal.All
I can play is Diablo2 on my old P3 !!!

What's the rest of your system like? (CPU, RAM, Etc.)
Getting a higher end card with a low end CPU can be a waste of money.

Something like a ATI 9800Pro would be a decent upgrade.

You could always upgrade your PSU if you really wanted a higher end card.

If you can buy a video card locally, that would probably be a good idea just in case it doesn't work. If a 6600 or 6800 works, that should be a big step up from the Ti4200. If it doesn't work, you can always return it.

Thats what I'm contemplating now.The power supply must be upgraded so I might just go for the 6800. If I don.t upgrade the PSU I might try the Ati 9600,its going for $100.

That ATI can't hold a candle to the 6600GT. It's worth the PSU upgrade. You can get the 6600GT from $150 from newegg, with shipping and tax! Great deal. Compusa sells it for $220 :eek: . You can get a new psu and the card for that price. Good Luck.

Thanks for the input! I am going to stick with the GeForce.I can get a 6200 for $80,the 6800 for $200 and the power supply I have to look at the specs in the store.Then I'll decide whether to spend or cheap out!!!

Case closed!! I bought the 6200. Now I have to install the "asus enhanced display driver--Which I blew away with the other drivers before I downloaded the updated driver !! :(

So far its working ok---quake 4 runs better-Just can't access the Asus smartdoctor for the Overclocking feature ,which I had with the original driver from the box,after downloading new driver (81.98)

I'm afraid you're likely to see a performance reduction when going from a Ti4200 to a 6200 as the Ti4200 was effectively the bottom of the top end cards and the 6200 is the bottom of the low end cards. If you can I'd advise cancelling and getting at least a 6600 or preferably a 6600GT. I suppose at least you won't need a new PSU with the 6200 but you're not going to like the speed of this card at all.

I agree, if you can return it that's best. That card is not very good. You should put a 6600 GT or 6600 in there. They can run off of 300 watts. Good Luck.

Man O Man .You got be spinning now!!!!!! I just phoned the store--no problem returning the card.The 6600Gt goes for $250.I tried the OC feature on the card and froze the computer--grrrr.

I checked out some reviews on Newegg for the 6200 and the 6600---Boy ,they really slagged the 6200.One guy said he was running a 6800 on 300w with no problem.
Does the 6600 take a power line from the PSU--mine has a line for 12v at 10 amp.

Yeah, it takes a standard 4 pin molec connector. It should run fine on 300 watts, but since you can get a 400 watt psu for $30, whats the big deal? Why not get a new PSU? And greenmachine, the 6600GT gives incredible performance for $130. I whole-heartedly recomend it.

Yup--You guys are right! I played around on a couple of games.the 6200 isn't as good as my old 4200ti.The store has an asus N6600GT 128mb 8Xagp TopLtdEd for $250--almost double the core and memory speed of the 6200!

Ya I know --Its a Canadian price-with the exchange rate and duty.its probabably in the ballpark.The store is only 10 minutes away and their exchange policy is excellent.

Man, do not pay $250 for a 6600GT. Here in blighty I can get one for less than £100. Shop around like the dudes say. If you really want to pay that much, I'll ship one to you from here, including shipping and taxes.

I am still playing around with the 6200-probably return it tomorrow.How do you get the fps to display during a game--In diablo 2 you just type /fps but I am interested in seeing the fps in the Quake4 demo,Halo,and half-life/CSsource.
Getting 60fps in Diablo2,Quake4 running smooth with no lag in 8 Player game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back