Replacing Laptop Hard Drive - Dell Latitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

512dude

Dell Latitude
C610

I want to replace the original hard drive with a larger capacity drive, the original is (don't laugh):

Hitachi DK23DA-20, 20GB, ATA5, EIDE, 4200rpm

DELL's site gives me little to go on for replacement parts but an alternative site suggests:

160GB ATA100 5400 rpm drive

I have found a Toshiba 320GB ATA/300 5400rpm at Fry's. Is there anything I need to know about the ATA type to ensure compatibility? Will this ATA300 drive work with my system which previously had an ATA5 drive?

Thanks

Toshiba makes a very good drive. We rate it among the top three, along with Seagate, Western Digital, and Fusjitsu. In our repair shop over the past 20 years, Toshiba has been our most reliable drive. A 5400 rpm drive will last longer than a 7200 rpm drive, and that speed will be noticeable...
Also look at www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, www.TigerDirect.com, and PCMall.com among others... prices vary almost daily.

Be sure you are getting the right type of drive... some are SATA, SATAII, EIDE, and ATA6...

It is difficult to return hard drives, so be sure you are getting what you need.

The 320 GB is a good choice, and will be almost as inexpensive as the 160... and most certainly less costly per gigabyte.

as long as you get an eide drive, you should be ok. Might as well get a 5400 rpm, as those perform much better, but won't use too much more battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back