Replacing Mobo.. Do I need a new OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8T1308

Well i just wanted to know if i replace my mobo and processor will i have to install a new OS? Or is it all stored on my hard drive and i have nothing to worry about...

thanks for your time

If you change-over your M/b and CPU, you will then need to Repair Windows

Your new Motherboard, must be compatible with your OS (not all drivers are available for all versions of Windows, for all Motherboards)

Many Harddrives now come with the OS on a recovery partition
But this Recovery image was originally intended for the original hardware.
Therefore if the Motherboard and CPU are different to the originally installed hardware, it may not work (actually highly likely it won't)

If you are deciding on changing the Motherboard and CPU, you are best to have an original Windows setup disc (That is compatible with your hardware)

Your COA Windows key, may be OEM. Which means that it will not legally be allowed to be placed on different hardware.

There are many issues here, I'm not sure I can discuss all of them in detail

A repair rarely works, if at all. A clean install is usually required, unless the new motherboard is the same as the old one.

well its gonna be a different brand mobo and an upgrade so i should just get a new OS then as well. I was thinking a Windows XP Professional SP3 OEM for my operating system because i have heard (from family in particular) that Vista is not for gaming and is very memory consuming. I have always had great results with Xp so why change ya know.
Ill be buying this processor and mobo together with this OS....,Does anyone see a problem with this setup?
You guys have always been a great help thanks for your time:)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131295 (Motherboard)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037 (Processor)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116515 (OS)

With 4x2GB memory sticks....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289 (Memory)

Everything looks good, although I'd replace the RAM with this instead. A simple 66MHz OC is all you'll need to have it at 1066MHz.

And Vista is not as bad as you think, I game on Vista x64 SP1 and I have had zero problems so far.

I like the cost of that ram better thank you for your suggestion:) I will be buying those ram sticks when i set up my system. Is it difficult to OC the Ram or is that a quick option in the mobo BIOS?

fairly easy really. Asus boards tend to give you a AI utility to overclock to in % increments.
Although. i can't remember if it synchs your fsb to your ram.
Still, its pretty easy to do either way.

Sounds good ill try it out when i buy my system if i have any questions ill just come here:)

oh one more thing can this mobo run crossfire?

Depends which exact model you have mate. Most P5Q's do have crossfire, but a few don't.
Check with newegg exactly which model it is to be sure as the website doesn'y seem to say.

Sorry for interrupting this thread, but while everyone is on this subject...I am also changing out my mobo but would like to switch my OS from XP to Vista-64 at the same time. How should I go about doing this? Should I unplug my system, install the new mobo, then turn it back on and install windows Vista?

Thanks.

Lol, yes....on the most basic of levels. But i'm sure you understand there is a little more to it than that. :)

Not essentailly mate no. Just the way you worded your question made it seem like you weren't altogether too sure. I was just subtly suggesting that its a little more than just 'plugging things in' ie. make sure your usb headers are correct or damage can occur etc.
I just wasn't sure how experienced at pc building you were.
Sorry for any confusion :)
As regards bios, some say "if it aint broke don't fix it", some say "always update to the latest bios". Personally with live bios updates now and less chance of flashing errors, i tend to get the latest updates, but you don't need to unless an update would resolve a particular issue you were having.

In your case, it wouldn't make a difference to your build.

Thanks k.jacko for coming to the rescue
Actually, I do believe on some posts I may be a bit too brief :rolleyes:

I did also want to say that the reason for the Bios update may be to get it ready for Vista or something. I'm one of those ones that do update the bios (even though the manufacture even says don't update if all is presently ok) But on every update I do, I always backup the existing Bios first. And I always do it from Floppy boot (I note, that just about all new computers now do not come with a floppy drive though)

Anyway, thought I'd mention that, and your post reply was appropriate :)

k.jacko,

lol, you guessed right, I'm what you'd call inexperienced. I'm doing my first upgrade on my own...figure I gotta learn some time. I am pretty confused on the whole new motherboard and OS switch. I've pretty much grasped the concept that I need to either reinstall my current OS or install a whole new one if I chagne the mobo. But all the small steps in between, I'm still learning them. Can you refer me to a good online tutorial or something along those lines so that my little project doesn't turn into a disastor?

Thanks.

...aaand there you have it. Kimslands post will give you what you need. :)
Bear in mind that you break the EULA if you reinstall your old oem operating system onto a newly upgraded mobo. It won't necessarily stop you installing it, its just against the licence agreement to do so.
A mobo upgrade requires a new oem licence, unless you have a retail version of your os.
Installing Vista is easier and quicker than xp imho.

Well you had two responses then
So I don't know which one you meant :confused:

Repair Windows Xp?
Install Vista freshly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back