Replacing mobo in emachines T2825

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a thread from several months ago originated by miso_ohio about a mobo/ps problem with the emachine T2825 model. I have the same problem and am considering replacing mine as well.

I am a beginner at mobo replacement. What steps are required after replacing the mobo to get the pc running again? Is it difficult to deal with on a pc like emachines? I assume that once the mobo is replaced that the OS on the hd will provide the boot info as before; is this a bad assumption?

oakdad :confused:

It's not that difficult to do but it's not something I would recommend for a user who's never done things like this.

Basically, you would remove everything from the motherboard, CPU, RAM, PCI cards, etc. Then disconnect any cables and connectors. Put the new mobo in and reconnect everything.

Complications can certainly arise so it's best to have someone who is knowledgable take a look at what you have first. It could be that the case uses some kind of proprietary connections. You also need a mobo that works with the PSU you have. You also have to be sure that the connector plate on the back of the case can be replaced if your new mobo has different connections.

According to Emachines site, that system uses an NForce2 motherboard for an AMD XP 2800. It's pretty easy to find a motherboard that is the same or similar to that one.

If you are somewhat "tech-smart", you can do it. I'd recommend getting your new board from a big company like MSI or ASUS, as their user manuals tend to be fairly well written and easy to understand.

Search the internet for "installing motherboard" and read a few "how to" articles.

But as for wanting to simply plug all your parts into the new motherboard and hoping your current windows installation will work, not likely. Sometimes people get lucky and windows boots up, and all they have to do is run the XP repair function to put the new motherboard's chipset drivers in, but in most cases windows will not boot up. You'd need to do a fresh installation (recommended regardless if you are putting in a new board).

Good luck!

Fenunn said:
How do you post forums?

At the very top of this page, click on "forums" (it is in red lettering) then look through the list and find the category that you think is best for your problem/question.

Once you click on your category, look for the "new thread" button.

Good luck!

I have taken the info from a previous thread that stated that a BioStar M7NCG 400 Socket A mobo is compatible with the T2825. Have you ever used a BioStar mobo?

I am not sure which MSI or ASUS boards would be compatible. Any clues based on the BIOSTAR mobo I listed?

DonNagual said:
If you are somewhat "tech-smart", you can do it. I'd recommend getting your new board from a big company like MSI or ASUS, as their user manuals tend to be fairly well written and easy to understand.

Search the internet for "installing motherboard" and read a few "how to" articles.

But as for wanting to simply plug all your parts into the new motherboard and hoping your current windows installation will work, not likely. Sometimes people get lucky and windows boots up, and all they have to do is run the XP repair function to put the new motherboard's chipset drivers in, but in most cases windows will not boot up. You'd need to do a fresh installation (recommended regardless if you are putting in a new board).

Good luck!

I just had a look at the user's manual for that board:
ftp://ftp.biostar-usa.com/manuals/M7NCG 400/M7NCG400manual.pdf

Doesn't look too bad. Have a look yourself and see what you think.

The trickest part for you (I think) will be re-seating your heatsink on your CPU. In order to take your CPU out of your current motherboard, you will have to remove the heatsink/fan that is sitting on top of it. When you do this, you will break the seal of the thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink.

When putting it all into your new motherboard, you will first have to clean the old thermal compound off of the CPU and heatsink (I use unperfumed nail polish remover). And you will want to have a tube of Arctic Silver thermal paste on hand (not included with your motherboard, you will have to buy this) and apply a tiny amount to the CPU before you place the heatsink on top.

Other than that, it is just a matter of putting all the wires in the right place.

Here is a useful article on how to do the heatsink/cpu installation:
http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYCPU.htm

Here is another good overall article on the entire process:
http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYMB.htm

Pay special attention to step 5 (the mounting screws) as this is a step that many beginners miss. Missing this step = fried motherboard most of the time! :hotbounce

Emachines T2825 mobo

Hi All
I ended up on this thread looking for same answers as requested by oakdad. I had emachined t2825, whose motherboard just gave in. I am looking for compatible motherboard and tried finding biostar 7ncg, but could not find it anywhere.
Can someone here tell me where to find one. Or better yet tell me the latest mobo that is compatible with t2825's chipset. I would love to hear from original poster about his experience in changing the mobo on his system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back