Replacing MoBo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good. SiS chipsets are usually crappy, but that one has dual-channel support, and overall nice specs.

Should work great with your processor.

Regards :wave:

raybay said:
Aging rig?

Yea... :{( ...I'm 55 years years old and I don't feel too bad. But this rig is 5 years old and things are starting to break down or at least get very twitchy. Also things move so fast even if your equipment is state of the art when purchased, it won't take long for it to become out dated.

The Intel MoBo that went bad did't have dual channel ram. It didn't have PCI-E. It did have a AGP Video Card, and a 800 FSB.

I don't look upon this misfortune as a loss, but rather, the oportunity to upgrade. *sniff sniff*

Here are the specs on the "aging rig"

Purchased from ibuypower.com late in '02
Here are some specs on the system in question:
MOBO-INTEL D845PEBT2 DDR333
PS-ENERMAX EG465P-VE 430
CPU-INTEL 3.O6GHZ P4 HT
MEM-CORSAIR 512MB PC2700 HEAD X2
WD 180GB 7200 8MB JB
WD 120 7200 8MB WD120JB
VC- RADEON 9700PRO A-I-W 128MB
DVDRW 8X4X2X1
SC-CREATIVE AUDIGY 2 PLATINUM
OS-XP PRO

The only thing, i have an asus mobo and i have to say that im not impressed with it at all.

When i needed a new mobo it was either asus or wait 3 weeks. I wish i had waited the 3 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, it works ok and has given me no serious problems, but it is a lot slower than say an MSI equivalent mobo that was only £10 more expensive.

For my next upgrade, i will not be getting an asus mobo.

I'm not quite sure exactly what to say, asus mobo's are cheap and it shows.

Most of their motherboards do allow overclocking but in comparison to makes such as MSI and Abit they are somewhat basic and lacking.

The asus overclocking utility for my particular motherboard is next to useless as is the monitoring software. I tend to hardware overclocking it and monitor it with SpeedFan. In fact, I am not currently running any asus software at all.

I guess they are quite good for their money but there are lots of better makes out there.

The motherboard you are looking at is a Intel Pentium based on whereas mine, if you have a look in my profile, is an AMD 64 bit one so there is bound to be a fair amount of difference.

We have always been astonished by the high reputation of ASUS. Such problems as this. Many boards released with manufacturing errors that required correction. Really lousy tech support nowadays compared to their once excellent service.
We rate the ASUS as 11th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back