Replacing my CPU, need assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

karl hogarth

I am upgrading my single for a dual core. I have read how to physically replace the CPU but what i need to know is what mods should i do to the system ?

It has been suggested that i do a clean install so the system recognises the new hardware which sounds smart to me. Do i need to change BIOS or anything else or is it a case of installing the CPU and booting it up.

this is my first attempt at something so "techy".

cheers

A,B,C,D or E; all of the above.........?

You really haven't posted any information necessary to even begin to make suggestions. Who's single core? What motherboard? Like that.

my computer has an ASUS A8N-E motherboard running an AMD single core socket 939 CPU. 1GB ram.
I have purchased an AMD Toledo dual core 2mb L2 cache to install. Do any changes need to be made or will it plug and play ?

(I have never done this before. The store where i bought the system say they will not install the CPU if it is not purchased from them, and they cannot get socket 939 Toledo dual core which is why i went to ebay to get it.)

Ooops......

I'm not an AMD guy, so much as I would like to, I can't help you.
But, on a brighter note, with the new info I'm sure someone will be along (& able) to help you.
Since these are both 64 bit processors, I suspect you can swap them without other changes, but it would still pay you to wait for a 2nd (or 3rd) opinion.

I think it should just be a remove-and-install procedure, nothing really major. Might want to hold off formatting the computer unless there's a problem. Usually its the motherboard replacement that will need a reformat, but people usually change motherboards and processors at the same time, so I'm not too sure. Nothing to lose by formatting it when trouble arises, instead of immediately, but if you want to reformat, thats good as well.

Your mobo will not accept the new CPU unless you upgrade the BIOS and the chipset drivers to the latest version available here.

ok sorry i sound so thick. what is the order of installing ? like this ?
1. format drive
2. replace cpu
3. flash BIOS
4. install XP SP2
5. install drivers, optimizers & updates

There's something I still don't quite understand.....

I hate to replace questions with questions, but if you can fight fire with fire......
With my Intel boards the BIOS is not processor specific.
So, can't you update the BIOS from within Windows, BEFORE removing the old processor? (Does Asus provide an executable version of BIOS updates)? This would make update the BIOS step 1.
I'm a big fan of drive scrubber software. So, couldn't you do this as step 2.
Unless you have Windows on it's own partition you'd lose all you data on the drive anyway.
So if I were going to do this, I'd probably do it in this order:
1. Flash the BIOS
2. Scrub the drive
3. Change the CPU
4. Check the boot order in BIOS, making sure the optical drive is first in boot order.
5. Install Windows, allowing it to do a full format on the drive. Yes, not a quick format.
6. Update the drivers

Is there anything wrong with this sequence of events? It is in point of fact a "clean install".

I'm still missing the point about the BIOS being processor specific. If it were, you'd never be able to build a new computer without buying a motherboard either with a processor installed, or a processor specific motherboard, would you? Then again, that question might have been brought on on by me being an Intel person in board and in processor.

I suppose some of my confusion could be alleviated by explaining which version BIOS is in the computer, and what is the minimum update number the new processor requires.

captaincranky said:
I suppose some of my confusion could be alleviated by explaining which version BIOS is in the computer, and what is the minimum update number the new processor requires.
That info is given on ASUS' Support site. The minimum required most likely doesn't match the version in his PC, unless he's updated it before. And yes, ASUS provides Windows as well as DOS versions of the BIOS Flasher.

Yes my BIOS version is 1010. The ASUS site says i only need to update if it is older than 1004 but should I update anyway ? and install the new Invidia drivers. New BIOS version is 1013. I don't have a floppy so the DVD-RW will surely be first in boot, i will check though.

Nah don't update the BIOS in that case. Just update the chipset drivers and then install the new CPU. It should work that way. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

You don't need to remove it. Just make sure you're grounded, off the carpet and have disconnected the power to the PC (remove the plug from the socket as well, just to be safe) before you attempt anything though. You can get grounding wrist straps for cheap at your local computer store. Just wear it on ur wrist and clip the other end to the metal bar of ur PC case (the one that separates the PSU enclosure from the rest of the system) and you're good to go. Otherwise, static electricity can cause some serious damage. After doing all that, just remove the old CPU & put the new one in, taking care to clean off the thermal paste off the heatsink as well (use rubbing alcohol). Apply a fresh coat of some thermal paste and re-attach the heatsink. Then clip the whole assembly back down to the mobo and fire up the PC. If you hear any beeps, then turn off the PC, disconnect the power cable and re-attach the CPU again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back