Replacing power supply in a Presario

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been attempting to replace the power supply in a Compaq Presario 5330US (Compaq P/N: 470019-713). It is a Pentium 4, 1.7 GHz with 512 RAM.
The motherboard is Compaq: KSR1983077 Spider-S
The power supply is a 235W (250W on plate), p/n 243890-001

It is not a standard ATX power supply, or at least the connector to the motherboard is not pinned to the ATX standard. It has a 24-pin connector vs. the 20-pin ATX (and it's not the latest 2.0 version). I tried a standard Antec PS and the unit failed to turn on, and the motherboard LED indicating power present does not light. AND the wires from the PS do not use the ATX color coding. Compaq does not offer a higher wattage PS.

What are my options?
- I would like to just splice my new power supply to the existing connector, but I do not have the pin-out to properly match up. Does anyone have a source for this info, and don't say HP/Compaq support.... Been there, done that... again, and again, and again......
- I want to upgrade the PS to accommodate a new video card (the card suggests a minimum 300W), should I just try it/chance it with my existing PS?

ANY and ALL help is appreciated.

you already bought a good PSU, and you have a new video card...

just buy a new MoBo, you can get one for that CPU on newegg for about $40. then it will use standard ATX connectors, and will be better than the compaq board that came with your system.

MoBo is Compaq

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't really looked into a new mobo, but it's a Compaq, and it's got the various sound card, network and serial/parallel ports integrated and positioned for the openings in the case.
Might be as big a pain as the PS.

not necessarily

twr-tristeel said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't really looked into a new mobo, but it's a Compaq, and it's got the various sound card, network and serial/parallel ports integrated and positioned for the openings in the case.
Might be as big a pain as the PS.

The new mobo will come equipped with an I/O plate that accomodates the mobo outputs, so that's no problem, the old one pops out, the new one pops in, however, if the new mobo has a different chipset, (highly likely), Windows probably won't re-install. Windows "records" certain landmarks, i.e. CPU, chipset, etc.,. When you attempt the install, if enough of these "landmarks" are different, you'll have to get a new copy of the OS. :knock:

hewybo said:
The new mobo will come equipped with an I/O plate that accomodates the mobo outputs, so that's no problem, the old one pops out, the new one pops in, however, if the new mobo has a different chipset, (highly likely), Windows probably won't re-install. Windows "records" certain landmarks, i.e. CPU, chipset, etc.,. When you attempt the install, if enough of these "landmarks" are different, you'll have to get a new copy of the OS. :knock:

That is assuming the old mobo is ATX. And we know it is not.

The fact that the PSU isn't ATX, doesn't mean it is not any of the other standard PSU form factors: http://www.formfactors.org/devlist.asp?FFID=-1&CatID=2

if enough of these "landmarks" are different, you'll have to get a new copy of the OS.
No you won't need a "new" OS, but IF it even works at all, you will likely need to reactivate Windows. However, a FULL format and reload is best when getting a new motherboard.

Be sure to double check your actual case though. While it's true a new mobo will come with a back plate, check that your case allows for removable back plates.
Also keep in mine that some of those cases can only support a microATX motherboard, not a full sized one.

And as Nodsu pointed out, there are a lot of different designs, but in my experience, the sky is the limit for OEM manufacturers to screw up their stuff to any non-standard layout they wish, and often do. You may not even be ABLE to rewire your new PS to work on the mobo, as the proprietary mobo likely even uses a different system.

All the more reason why you want to build your own PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back