Replacing Toshiba Laptop CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: Does anyone know how to replace the CPU on a Toshiba Tecra 8000 or 8100 series laptop?
I can find everything but. Someone told me for some brands you have to lift up the keyboard but I dont' see that as possible. I tried to take the bottom of the laptop off, took out all the screws but couldn't get it off something was holding up the works. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Matt

You can always lift up the keyboard.

If you don't know what you are doing and don't feel comfortable trying, then please don't take your laptop apart. :)

There should be a number of screws on the bottom that will allow you to lift up the keyboard. Toshiba has made many designs, so how you can do this may vary.

If you do manage to get the keyboard loose, then lift VERY gently. Almost all keyboards and touchpads have very delicate ribbon cables which can break if pulled the wrong way and be expensive to replace.

hances are, your CPU is upgradable. From Toshiba models I'm familiar with, you are going to have to do more than just take off the keyboard, but different models vary.

Cpu upgrade

I have exactly the same question.
I know how to lift the keyboard and get access to the CPU.
My question is: Do I need to do any setup in hardware to make sure the
clock will change to higher speed?
My intention is to upgrade the CPU on my Tecra 8100 from 450Mg to 600Mg.

Rick said:
You can always lift up the keyboard.

If you don't know what you are doing and don't feel comfortable trying, then please don't take your laptop apart. :)

There should be a number of screws on the bottom that will allow you to lift up the keyboard. Toshiba has made many designs, so how you can do this may vary.

If you do manage to get the keyboard loose, then lift VERY gently. Almost all keyboards and touchpads have very delicate ribbon cables which can break if pulled the wrong way and be expensive to replace.

hances are, your CPU is upgradable. From Toshiba models I'm familiar with, you are going to have to do more than just take off the keyboard, but different models vary.

450MHz.. that is so old that it might have some jumper things to set although it is unlikely. You should to make sure that a 600MHz CPU is actually supported though.

Thanks!!
Tecra 8100 can support P3 up to 850mhz, so I don't think it will be a problem to upgrade the CPU and make the laptop work.

The only think I'm not sure is how to secure the clock will change from 450mhz to 600mhz.

Does the computer detect the CPU type and set the clock accordingly?

Yes. A smart motherboard will detect the new CPU and it's clock rate. A motherboard that is a bit dumber will run the CPU at some "safe" frequency and will expect you to set the right numbers in BIOS setup. Very old and stupid motherboards want you to play with jumpers.

If you are still unsure, try to find a service manual for your laptop. I doubt Toshiba ones are as freely available as the ones for IBM or HP, but you can try.. :p

Question

Before I take everything apart to upgrade my Tecra 8100, My question is will the cooling support a faster CPU and are the pins sodered to the board?
I'm planning to go from 353mhz to 700mhz

The comp is working well now and I don't want to "Fix" something that isn't "Broke" .

keyboard removal

You don't remove the keyboard from the bottom. Remove the thin bezel over the top of the keyboard, under it is a small screw with a piece of metal that holds down a tab. Remove that screw and the metal piece and gently lift the keyboard out. Very gently remove the ribbon cable by lifting it straight up. That should do it. If you start removing the screws, make sure you put them back exactly where they belong, or you will short out the MB. the 4 designates the shorter of the screws... hope that helps

Tecra 8000 Disassembly for Power Problem

I am trying to help a friend repair his Tecra 8000 Laptop. There is no power evident. There is power evident in the power cord and plug. I assume the power problem is in the laptop itself.

Does anyone know if there is a fuse inside the Tecra 8000 that could be blown?
If so, how do I disassemble the Tecra 8000 to get to the power supply and socket where the fuse would be?

Thanks much!

Jim :confused:

Tecra 8000 Disassembly for Power Problem

I disassembled the laptop and found that the power outlet had separated from the motherboard. Didn't feel the computer was worth fixing at this point with it being an older model. Would have cost more to repair than it was worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back