TechSpot

replacing video card in e-machines T-2642

By Steverino
Jun 26, 2007
  1. I'm trying to replace the video card in an e-machines t-2642. I know e-machines are crap but I was given this computer and I want to see if the hard drive is alright. I called tech support(which was a joke) and the guy kept telling me to take it to a certified computer technician. I know that it can't be that hard to replace. I was wondering if it was just a jumper or something like that. I installed the new video card in one of the PCI slots and the computer turned on and I could here Windows start up but the monitor wouldn't power up. I don't have any manuals for the computer and I can't find anything on the Internet(a lot of e-machines questions but nothing specific to my problem). Any help would be appreciated.

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

What is the model of the video card you are trying to install? You will have to turn off the on-board video first. Install the new video card. When the computer starts to boot up, press DEL a couple of times. You will see a blue screen with options on it. This is the bios setup screen. Look for Integrated PCI video, and disable it. Reboot your system...

The infamous T2642:

Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
    CPU: Intel® Celeron® 2.60GHz Processor
    128KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB
    Chipset: Intel® 845GV chipset
    Memory: 256MB DDR (PC 2100)
    Hard Drive: 40GB HDD
    Optical Drive: 48x Max. CD-RW Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD
    Video: Intel® Extreme Graphics 3D
    64MB Shared memory
    Sound: AC '97 Audio
    Network: 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
    Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
    Peripherals: Standard Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Standard Stereo Speakers
    Ports/Other: 6 USB 2.0 ports (2 on front), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
    Dimensions: 7.25"W x 14.125"H x 16"D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.