Replacing Win XP pro with Win98se

Status
Not open for further replies.
I,ve recently had a computer given to me that is using Win xp pro OS. the ram on the machine is to small, 128mb, to run XP. How do I remove XP and install win98se from a CD that I have. Any help apreciated, best wishes Papa C :bounce: I have never come across anyone wanting to downgrade before ;)

Two solutions:
1) Buy more RAM
2) Get a W98 bootfloppy (e.g. www.bootdisk.com. Boot that PC from it (with the option for CD-support) and run the FDISK program on that floppy to delete the partition, then make a new partition, and set it 'active' (all in FDISK).
Then format that HD in FAT32, using the FORMAT program on that floppy.
Finally, install W98.

Windows XP/ Windows 98

Hi there realblackstuff
Many thanks for the info I shall get cracking straight away, best wishes to you and all in the "fair city" cheers :grinthumb
Papa C

Don't forget to backup anything you need, and check the hardware that's on it, so you know what (W98) drivers you may need to download.

Win98/WinXP

Try as I may I cannot get the W98 floppy to boot up in WinXP so I am no farther on. I've tried to boot up from the DOS prompt with out any luck. I'm just out of ideas. I must be doing something wrong, but what, I feel that to get XP off I've got to reformat the hard drive, partition the drive, and set up fat32. Then loading win 98 should be a matter of following a sequence of auto events. Help please Papa C :knock:

Type fdisk at the Dos prompt. There you can delete all partitions and create new one(s). Then Format them as fat32 as RBS said. Then you can install Win 98.

patcurley28 said:
Try as I may I cannot get the W98 floppy to boot up in WinXP so I am no farther on. I've tried to boot up from the DOS prompt...
Sounds to me like you were trying to run your boot floppy from the DOS box within Windows.

This won't work. Better just insert your boot floppy into the floppy drive and reboot. Et voila!

Regards, Martin A

Centurio said:
This won't work. Better just insert your boot floppy into the floppy drive and reboot. Et voila!
Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from a floppy drive too otherwise it'll ignore your boot disk and go straight to your hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back