TechSpot

Report: Apple begins production of iPad 2

By Jos
Feb 9, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Apple's second version of its iPad tablet computer has already entered production, according to the Wall Street Journal. Citing "people familiar with the matter" the paper claims that the so-called iPad 2 will be thinner and lighter, with at least one built-in camera for video chat, while sporting a significantly faster processor and more memory. Not much of a surprise there. Contrary to earlier rumors, it will also purportedly keep the same display resolution as the first model.

Read the whole story

2. princeton

princeton TS Addict Posts: 1,677

keep the same display resolution as the first model.

Then it's still garbage. When reading e-books is easier on the iphone 4 you need to bump up the tablets res.

3. I wonder if it is going to keep the same screen size, but bump up the res. Agreed that we need to have a higher resolution in the ipad 2 to make the consumers happy.

4. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 744   +12

Yay, more overpriced trash from Apple.

5. j05hh

j05hh TS Booster Posts: 140   +22

support flash? not holding my breath

6. In a few months?! It is astounding that Apple is close to releasing their second (successful) tablet while the competition (Android tablets) have not even released the killer tablet @ the right price point. This CES has been full of great-looking upcoming tablets, but their release dates are too far into the future to be of significance for the present or have impact in the tablet market as a whole. I could be wrong seeing how android smartphones eventually took over iPhones, but seeing the Ipad lose to the android tablets is hard.

Also, I wish tablets were cheaper. I want a tablet that is in the same price range of a $300 netbook. Anything more is a waste, given how tablets have low productivity.

7. hitech0101

hitech0101 TS Guru Posts: 435   +24

This version seems like an update patch of ipad like 1.9.9.9 rather than an ipad 2.0 just seems to miss the mark with so many tablets cropping up everyday one might deal the killer punch after ipad2's release.

8. Sarcasm

Sarcasm TS Guru Posts: 347   +26

^This indeed.

I highly agree. When something that looks like it could be a winner in the tablet market, the price is too high for it to be truly successful IE: Motorola Xoom.

The idea of a tablet is neat, but it's really a novelty item. For the same price, some people could get a decent laptop capable of so much more.