Report: Average global Internet speeds increased by 14 percent to 5.1Mbps

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Global Internet connection speeds increased by double-digits in the third quarter compared to a year ago although only five percent of users are connecting at broadband speeds of 25Mbps or higher according to content delivery service Akamai.

In its 60-page State of the Internet report, Akamai found that the average global Internet connection speed is just 5.1Mbps. That's a 14 percent boost compared to the third quarter of last year and a 0.2 percent increase over last quarter.

South Korea continues to lead the world with the fastest average connection speed at 20.5Mbps followed by Sweden at 17.4Mbps. Norway narrowly edged out Switzerland for third place at 16.4Mbps (Switzerland had an average connection speed of 16.2Mbps during the most recent quarter).

While South Korea still enjoys a commanding lead over other countries, its average connection speeds are down 19 percent year-over-year and 11 percent compared to the second quarter.

The US, meanwhile, ranked 16th with an average Q3 connection speed of 12.6Mbps - up 9.4 percent compared to the same period last year and 7.3 percent since last quarter. Looking at its neighbors, Canada finished in 21st place at 11.9Mbps while Mexico placed 68th with an average speed of 5.5Mbps.

When looking at peak connection speeds, Singapore ranked first at 135.4Mbps followed by Hong Kong at 101.1Mbps and South Korea at 86.6Mbps.

Permalink to story.

These statistics never add up if you cross reference it. Hopefully UK will catch up, at least US has Gooble Fibre being put up frequently.

I couldn't agree more .... the really sad thing is that so much of this technology was invented in the US, yet we let many Asian countries kick us in the shorts when it comes to access and band width. Apparently our new slogan is "ready, shoot, aim" ......

I couldn't agree more .... the really sad thing is that so much of this technology was invented in the US, yet we let many Asian countries kick us in the shorts when it comes to access and band width. Apparently our new slogan is "ready, shoot, aim" ......

Most Americans have been complacent greedy slackers.

Us South Africans go one better, we've just invented a parachute that deploys on impact.

I happen to live in an area where the local rural ISP we have is obsessed with laying fiber optic everywhere, so I have have access to speeds up to 1GBps if one is willing to pay for it, and is has fiber to the home like I do. :)

If the ENTIRE SQUARE AREA of the USA, were Japan, we'd have fast internet. Heck, Japan would fit pretty much inside the state of California.
The USA is SPREAD OUT. Take a while to get broadband in places like the Dakota's, Wyoming, Texas when some people are miles from each other.

If the ENTIRE SQUARE AREA of the USA, were Japan, we'd have fast internet. Heck, Japan would fit pretty much inside the state of California.
The USA is SPREAD OUT. Take a while to get broadband in places like the Dakota's, Wyoming, Texas when some people are miles from each other.
Yeah, many people forget just how big the US is and how spread out some people are. They forget how expensive it is to run cables all that distance just to cover a few people, it's just overly expensive and most companies won't do it (even though they make obscene amounts of money).

Yeah, many people forget just how big the US is and how spread out some people are. They forget how expensive it is to run cables all that distance just to cover a few people, it's just overly expensive and most companies won't do it (even though they make obscene amounts of money).

Cannot disagree with the size, scope, and complexity, but let me remind you ... it was all the telco's that promised complete high speed connectivity as the basis of their extended licenses .... ie: they lied and were never taken to task about it! There is no argument that rural America will take a long time for that kind of access, but in cities of 250,000 or more there simply isn't a good reason other than good old fashion American Greed.

Cannot disagree with the size, scope, and complexity, but let me remind you ... it was all the telco's that promised complete high speed connectivity as the basis of their extended licenses .... ie: they lied and were never taken to task about it! There is no argument that rural America will take a long time for that kind of access, but in cities of 250,000 or more there simply isn't a good reason other than good old fashion American Greed.
Oh yeah, they very much did lie and I hate them all for it. I wish the government would actually do something about it like they are supposed to instead of just letting them raise prices for no reason other than they can.

These statistics never add up if you cross reference it. Hopefully UK will catch up, at least US has Gooble Fibre being put up frequently.
However, doesn't the UK use fiber on a wider basis? Google Fiber isn't really going to ever take off--they said so themselves; it wasn't intended to be something to compete with Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T, but to just prove a point/experiment. What I think has a greater chance to make an impact is municipal broadband, but with the way our government works, nothing happens.

(even though they make obscene amounts of money).
Last I read, Comcast supposedly made upwards of 60% profit (can't remember if it was gross or after taxes/fees/maintenance). Of course now that I want to reference where I read that from, I can't find it, so take it with a grain of salt.

Point being though I have no problem with people making money. But when you become greedy about it and put the customers needs last, and sprinkle it with lies, it becomes something I do have a problem with. Unfortunately that's anything in this world...

I find this hard to believe that it's accurate.
Romania for example has seen an incredible increase in mobile internet speeds (4G adoption rate was high this year) and the normal fiber connections are $9 for 100Mbps and $14 for 1Gbps.
Even my grandma's place out in a village far away from a big city had 25Mbps.

Akamai shows an average of 13.1 but the peak is the highest in Europe at 72.9Mbps, while the UK known for it's really bad internet has an average of 13 with a peak of 54.2Mbps. I know people living in some of the most expensive places in London and they barely found a 20Mbps connection. (hell, their banks still use dial up, especially for ATMs)

You think the US has a problem with too much land, come to Canada, we're really spread out here. Not only that but the network infrastructure in many places just never got upgraded, for too long DSL has been the go to solution and the ISPs have been trying to squeeze every last bit of bandwidth out of the ancient phone lines instead of laying fiber. This is a huge concern of mine in Canada where they advertise DSL as Fibe (Thank You Very Much Bell...) which isn't true fiber and still relies on the crappy copper phone lines that could be very, very old. Makes me glad to be getting my internet from a Cable ISP, unfortunately however, it's Videotron.

Turn you attention now to a developing country that has only just begun to deliver internet access to homes, would you use an old technology that is already at it's limits? Or start with fiber and do things right from the beginning?

Somebody brought up London, and that's a perfect example of an old infrastructure that needs to be improved or won't ever compete with the newly developing nations around the globe. It's no where near the scale of the problem in North America, but suffers from the same dilemma.

I know people living in some of the most expensive places in London and they barely found a 20Mbps connection. (hell, their banks still use dial up, especially for ATMs)

Another example of technology playing catchup, the Banks are just another culprit of not wanting to invest in their own infrastructure to improve service for their customers. It's a pretty well known fact that most ATMs are still using XP. So imagine how willing they are to upgrade their networks away from the phone lines...

nobody is asking for high speeds in remote regions (although simple 10-15Mbps should be possible), but when big cities are the same, then you know that there is a problem.
you are also forgetting that the US is federal republic divided up in multiple states. every state should be able to build it's own fiber network just like any country in the EU. the only thing stopping this is the ISPs that have a monopoly in those states.
it's simple: countries in the EU where there are 3 or more providers for have low prices and high speeds. on the other hand the opposite is also true. Italy for example has the most crappy internet you've ever seen and it's very expensive. (the UK also has a monopoly problem similar to the US)

Back