Report claims GTA 6 is in early stages of development, and Rockstar almost made GTA: Tokyo

midian182

Staff member

It’s been over two years since the initial release of GTA 5. The game is one of the most successful of all time, shipping over 60 million copies across all platforms. But while the multiplayer element continues to receive new content, we still haven’t seen any single-player DLC.

If a report from Techradar proves to be true, the chances of getting any new solo missions are looking even slimmer, as development on GTA 6 has already begun.

The website’s source claims that while preliminary work on the sixth main installment in the long-running series is underway, the game’s location has yet to be decided.

It’s also revealed that Rockstar had planned to create Grand Theft Auto: Tokyo many years ago, and even visited the Japanese capital to assess its potential as a location.

The developer was supposedly “serious” about the idea of taking the franchise to Asia around the time of GTA 3 and Vice City, but Tokyo’s “problematic” road system was allegedly one of the reasons why the plan never became a reality. In 2003, Rockstar filed a trademark for GTA: Tokyo, as well as ones for GTA: Bogota and GTA: Sin City.

Another reason we never got GTA: Tokyo was apparently due to Rockstar’s reluctance to move the series outside of the US. Barring the two 1999 mission packs that were set in London, GTA games have always taken place in fictional cities based on real US locations. The developers worried that moving Grand Theft Auto to another country may have resulted in it feeling less like the GTA titles people know and love.

However, the GTA: Tokyo idea was a long time ago, so there’s every chance that Rockstar could now decide it's time for a change and locate game number six in a new continent. It is, after all, hard to imagine a GTA title being unsuccessful, no matter where it’s set.

Permalink to story.

I don't care what they do as long as I get it on PC the same day as consoles. None of this wait two years crap. As far as PC ports go, it blows most others out of the water, but it needed to happen sooner.

I'd love to see Tokyo as the next city setting, I'm getting tired of New York and California, the franchise needs a change of scenery. Tokyo would be bad *** if they could figure out a way to work the road network, Sao Paulo could also be very interesting place.

I don't care what they do as long as I get it on PC the same day as consoles. None of this wait two years crap. As far as PC ports go, it blows most others out of the water, but it needed to happen sooner.

I agree with you on that... Being a long time GTA fan who only plays on PC I was very disappointed with the delays on 4 and 5. I was disappointed with the poor port of 4, but even though it took a very long time for 5 I am very impressed with the port of 5. Now if we can just get it at the same time as consoles and still have a solid port R* will have a lot of happy customers.

I am a little mixed on trying a foreign country for the locale inspiration, but I suppose as long as all the other known and loved GTA elements are still there I imagine most would still love it. I really enjoyed ALL the GTA locations, Liberty City, San Andreas, Vice City... all well done and tons of fun to explorer.

In GTA 5 I must say I'm glad they stopped locking off access to other parts of the map, having it all open from the beginning increased my enjoyment immensely.

The only thing in GTA 5 I didn't like was the poor vehicle physics, it just felt so watered down... much worse than 4.

I am tired of everything being based in the US. Sleeping Dogs I found so refreshing and interesting since it was in Hong Kong. New York and LA are so boring now in games. Shame they scrapped Tokyo.
If it happening sooner means many more launch day problems, I'd bet we'd all agree to have them take their time. I can't remember any, even small problems, I've had with the game at launch. And it goes without saying that I can't say that about many games.

I am tired of everything being based in the US. Sleeping Dogs I found so refreshing and interesting since it was in Hong Kong. New York and LA are so boring now in games. Shame they scrapped Tokyo.

If it happening sooner means many more launch day problems, I'd bet we'd all agree to have them take their time. I can't remember any, even small problems, I've had with the game at launch. And it goes without saying that I can't say that about many games.

I agree 100%. I would like the same quality within a reasonable time frame of the console launch.

Agreed. Sleeping Dogs was one of the best types of "those games." I found the Hong Kong location and cultural differences to be a fresh spin that this style of games desperately needs.

I'd love to see Tokyo as the next city setting, I'm getting tired of New York and California, the franchise needs a change of scenery. Tokyo would be bad *** if they could figure out a way to work the road network, Sao Paulo could also be very interesting place.
I'm brazilian and I'd love to see a city from here on the game (although Sao Paulo would be kinda boring on a game, Rio would be a more interesting and varied setting, for example). Personally I'd also like Tokyo as well. But the problem with those places is that it doesn't make sense for the characters to be speaking English on a regular basis, especially in Brazil where few people know a second language.
They could use plenty of other English-speaking locations though, like London (already been in GTA games), Vancouver/Toronto, Sydney/Melbourne, Glasgow, Dublin, and so on...

I think its come to the point where they need to make bigger cities, game generated cities, possibly with custom locations for the story would be the best bet. More then anything though, each city needs to have an airport with a plane you can take to another map... ie. USA to london to tokyo. if the cities are generated content it could still be programmed to have the feel of the real cities but not based on the exact layout. with a system like that much of the code would be reused from location to location and allow for new locations to be much more easily added. The really slow part of these games is making the cities and the content. They need a way to streamline that so we can get more cities because the current method means larger city = costs more money to make and by extension multiple cities cost even more.

As far as language goes, I think it would be for the best story wise if all characters spoke english as a second language that they happen to use when we are there. possibly with the option of local language with subtitles. A possible compromise would be locals that speak english so they at least use their local accent(provided they have one). I think it would add a nice color to the game walking down a street and hearing someone swear at you in another language, then have your character say "I dont speak xyz" then the random passer by says the same thing in english OR after awhile your character picks up on their language and casually says to himself "did that guy just tell me to go blank myself". Plus there is body language, you dont always need to be able to literally understand someone to get their meaning. Ie, holding a gun at you, yelling, and motioning with the gun for you to leave.

With enough time in game, we might actually learn a bit about the other languages too just from hearing/seeing the translation.

Title should be GTA: World Tour. featuring 4 or 5 geographic locations. Or release it with just one or two to start and release the following ones as DLC with the missions based on the home location so you dont actually have to have each DLC to enjoy the next. (though who are we kidding, if its single player style missions we will all buy it)

Amazingly I am not over anticipating GTA 6 after the great GTA V was released. Hopefully they can somewhat live up to expectations with the next release. But to be this far into a series and do as wonderfully as the last release is almost unheard of. I almost fear they will try to improve too much on the next title and mess it up. Just use what you did on GTA V and change the venue and story line. Dont mess up a good thing.

Personally I'd also like Tokyo as well. But the problem with those places is that it doesn't make sense for the characters to be speaking English on a regular basis, especially in Brazil where few people know a second language.
They could use plenty of other English-speaking locations though, like London (already been in GTA games), Vancouver/Toronto, Sydney/Melbourne, Glasgow, Dublin, and so on...

They could program different levels of dialogue translation that is user select-able, give you a total immersion option would be interesting I think, IE you have to teach your character the local languages as you travel from location to location to be able to do advanced mission, obviously some will be available but you unlock missions just by spending more time in a certain location. And if that's not what players want they could select to have subtitles and or dubbing to make it easier.

Personally I'd love to see a Canadian city, unfortunately I'm sure they'd pick Toronto which isn't a terribly interesting city besides a couple landmarks. Montreal has so much history, diversity, and could play into the multiple languages I mention previously, although I speak French so I'd have an advantage there. But that could be said about any city they choose to recreate for those that physically inhabit them. GTA is one of those franchises they can do so much with, it's just limited by how much it'll cost to develop.

With enough time in game, we might actually learn a bit about the other languages too just from hearing/seeing the translation.

Title should be GTA: World Tour. featuring 4 or 5 geographic locations. Or release it with just one or two to start and release the following ones as DLC with the missions based on the home location so you dont actually have to have each DLC to enjoy the next. (though who are we kidding, if its single player style missions we will all buy it)

I agree on having multiple geographic locations, just they can't be DLC, the current GTA is supposed to get DLC, supposed to. Who knows how long it could take, cost. The world has to be base content, if not who knows how long it would take for the game to be completely finished. Making the missions DLC would make more sense, it guarantees everyone will have all the base content, and could allows the players to play the game at their own rate.

I was skeptical about Sleeping Dogs' Hong Kong location, but after playing the game, I think the city was a great choice for an open world game. Makes me believe that Asian cities could work for these types of games. You'd have to have the locals speak English though.

I think Moscow, Russia would be an interesting city for an open world organized crime game.

Would seem like the logical choice for GTA 6's setting would be Vice City. Its been quite a few years since GTA: Vice City was originally released.

Back