TechSpot

Report: iPad mini with Retina display 'likely' coming this year

By Scorpus
Aug 1, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple apparently isn't quite finished with its component deals with Samsung, as it is "likely" to use a 'Retina' display from the Korean firm in their upcoming iPad mini refresh. Despite the two companies being bitter rivals, Apple has been...

Read more

2. Too late for some, since discovering the pure google 4.2.2 (now 4.3) nexus devices, I have replaced all my idevices in my family with the nexus line. My own phone and tablet, my parents iphones replaced, my nephews iPhone replace, my daughters iPhone replaced, my parents ipad replaced. Sorry apple, your products are awesome, but just wayyyyy too much over priced for lesser of a product.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,088   +716

Retina Mini Likely? Perhaps. Anandtech had a interesting piece on the possibility of retina mini back when they reviewed the first Mini. There were quite a few technical reasons why they felt Apple wouldn't make a mini with a Retina screen. (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6429/ipad-mini-review/5)

However, that was (as the article mentions) before the new Nexus 7. Although I would assume Apple would have had to been planning for the new Mini before the details for the new 7 were out.

The other reason they might have one is Apple loves to resell the same products with incremental improvements.

4. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,469   +622

I still don't know how they can make a retina mini, purely from a software standpoint. iPhone 3 > 4 was okay, because it was 4x the resolution. iPad > ipad Retina was okay, because 4x resolution. iPad mini was okay, because same resolution as original iPad.

The Apple Dev Kit doesn't support display scaling. This is why we got those ridiculous bars on the iPhone5 when it came out and also why iPhone apps on the iPad used to just be blown up. Apple needs to either:
    a) Make a retina display using a multiple of a previous resolution.
    b) Re-write their entire dev kit and philosophy.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.