Report: Microsoft's smartwatch constructed of transparent aluminum

Shawn Knight

Staff member

report microsoft working translucent aluminum smartwatch microsoft smartwatch

Earlier this year we learned that Microsoft was working on a smartwatch of their own – pretty much a given considering the industry shift toward wearable technology. Previous reports noted that Microsoft had placed orders for 1.5-inch displays from component manufacturers and now we have some juicy details to back up that claim courtesy of the gang over at AmongTech.

According to the publication, trusted sources claim the smartwatch now has its own dedicated department (it started as a project for the Xbox team) and has reached the prototype stage. It is said to feature a removable wrist band that will be available in a variety of colors including black, blue, gray, white and yellow.

Furthermore, the watch housing is reportedly constructed of oxynitride aluminum, a material composed of aluminum, oxygen and nitrogen. It is up to 80 percent optically transparent and is four times harder than fused silica glass and 85 percent as hard as sapphire.

Another source said the watch will run a modified version of Windows 8 and should integrate well with other Windows-powered mobile devices. Prototypes are said to include 6GB of storage alongside cloud storage via LTE connectivity. Tasks like music control and notifications are probably a given but other capabilities are unknown at this hour.

What’s more, it’s unclear exactly how a smartwatch would complement Microsoft’s Surface tablet. I suspect the device would be best suited for smartphones although sources say it can be used as a standalone product as well.

Permalink to story.

The only thing I can think off when it comes out it won't support windows 8 and it M$ will make a OS to run the watch which then will be launched for PC,tablets and phones too.

So how long does this Smartwatch last on battery power? If it's less than one month, I'm won't even consider looking at it for purchase.

BONES: Scotty...how do you know he invented transparent aluminum...
SCOTTY: How do you know he didn't?

BONES: Scotty...how do you know he invented transparent aluminum...
SCOTTY: How do you know he didn't?
lool. I thought I was The only classic star trek fan here.
(you beat me on that post...I hate you. :) )

"are said to include 6GB of storage alongside cloud storage via LTE connectivity. "
unfortunately, since he device runs on modified windows w8tch OS, additional storage is only available via cloud... :) (which I hope is not true:) )

Android, Windows, Firefox & iOS operating systems all requiring a different watch. That wouldn't be a problem if I were a cephalopod, I'd still have room for another four operating systems.

I haven't worn a watch since high school some 17 years ago (infact I still own the watch :D). I normally use the time on my smart phone or simply forget about time and just chill :D

I'm still waiting to see how the Touch Time turns out. It's the only geek watch I know of which promises good battery life (1 year).

I'm still waiting to see how the Touch Time turns out. It's the only geek watch I know of which promises good battery life (1 year).

Interesting. Battery life is good probably because of no bluetooth, but I'm still unconvinced that a cell battery is so much better than a rechargeable li-po.

Back