TechSpot

Reports indicate Windows 8.1 has hit RTM stage

By Scorpus
Aug 25, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. During Microsoft's Worldwide Partner Conference earlier this year, the company revealed that Windows 8.1 would be made available to manufacturers by late August. According to recent reports, this has come true, with Microsoft's refreshed OS hitting the Release to Manufacturing...

Read more

2. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Evangelist Posts: 334   +101

Does anyone actually care?? I have yet to meet someone who does...

avoidz and Experimentongod like this.
  3. Let me know when Windows 7.1 hits RTM stage.

avoidz and Experimentongod like this.
  4. soldier1969

soldier1969 TS Booster Posts: 244   +43

Let me know when Windows 9 hits, not touching 8 or any of its offshoots.

5. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,163   +197

now you do. :)

6. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Evangelist Posts: 334   +101

Ha! more like looking for the one odd ball who likes it on the PC.. almost knew one, till he snapped one day and reformatted to Xdark V5 win7.

misor likes this.
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Eh, good news for Win 8 users. But I am still not gonna touch Win 8 (pun intended).

8. misor

you'll not gonna touch a 'touch-enabled' windows 8?
    I guess I'm really a Microsoft fan and a windows 8 lover.

my history:
    I waited in line just to be able to attend windows vista launch in the Philippines: SM Mall of Asia.

when windows 7 came out, I purchased windows 7 home premium family pack (for 3 computers).

I purchased two windows 8 pro licenses during the discounted promo plus one additional license after the promo had ended.

I waited for ie10 for windows 7 to appear despite 'loving windows 8 more' .

'I love windows 8 more' though I spend about 3 hours on it for every 7 hours I spend on windows 7. :)

I assembled two computers in order to install the two windows 8 licenses I purchased. :) (a. i5-3570k + asrock z77 extreme4; b. pentium g630 + ecs h61h2-m12; both have no dedicated graphics yet; the third license is used to boot my windows 7 home premium with windows 8 pro)

9. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 647   +227

Whoopie-********-Do. Same story as Windows 8 for at least 50% of the population. Dead On Arrival. Next....

10. coppersloane

coppersloane TS Enthusiast Posts: 108   +33

Been using the 8.1 preview for a while now. Loving it.

11. misor

if Kinect was a pc add-on, then yes. :)
    I'm not a hard-core gamer though... so I don't own an xbox/xbox360 (or ps2/ps3 for that matter)

12. Nivagely

Nivagely TS Member Posts: 28

I hate Windows 8, Don't see me crying to mommy when someone likes something I do not. I simply move the **** on with life, like I'll do now.

misor likes this.
  13. Nivagely

Nivagely TS Member Posts: 28

Furthermore, being content doesn't mean conforming to other people's idea, just the acceptance of it, Would've thought someone slurring insults like chimpanzee could actually think that far ahead.

misor likes this.
  14. ukjayb

ukjayb TS Rookie

"I guess I'm really a Microsoft fan and a windows 8 lover."
    yes. it sounds like you are... there are very few technical reviews that say anything good about windows 8. and most of the good ones that do exist were most likely written by writers on microsoft's payroll. It does simple things easy. which is why your 5 yr/old daughter and grandma can use it... but trying to get any real work done is a PITA... no one except for the hardcore microsoft fanboys and the people that don;'t know any better are even trying to touch this operating system.

avoidz likes this.
  15. windmill007

windmill007 TS Rookie Posts: 308

Start8 will continue to work with 8.1 so I am happy. Windows 8 is fine once u move the modern (touch) UI to the back burner. They need to find a better way to integrate the modern UI on the desktop. Modernmix, another program from the same company who has start8 actually makes the apps work as windows on windows 8. That's how they should of made windows 8 desktop if there was such a version.

16. Ma_ga

Ma_ga TS Rookie Posts: 39

I prefer windows 7, but I use windows 8 (since this one is legal :p), I'm impation about 8.1, not about the "new features", but for the hotfixed and other fixes, like SP1.

17. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 647   +227

Brilliant. What an incredible way to effect change in the next version of Windows. To shut my mouth, drop my pants, and bend over like you so willingly do. Yes, I like this idea. That will make Windows 9 something to look forward too. Thank you so much for this wonderful idea.

*TheBigFatClown* has gone into cricket mode and has his fingers crossed, hoping that Microsoft will magically realize Windows 8 sucks by the deafening silence.Giving full credit to Mr. Nivagely, of course.*

avoidz and Raoul Duke like this.
  18. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Hahaha I just notied what I did, pun intended I guess.

19. MrBungle

MrBungle TS Booster Posts: 151   +67

Console types are "hard core gamers?"

avoidz likes this.
  20. MrBungle

If it requires a 3rd party hack to make the OS usable then its not "fine", its a disaster.

avoidz likes this.
  21. MrBungle

MS put the metro UI on its server and Professional editions of Win 8, I think its pretty clear they intend to force the changes on enterprise customers as well.

22. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

Should be available by Windows Update as an optional update..not the Windows Store. Must be pretty desperate to force people to the store who use Win8, but avoid 'Metro' like the plague. Post to Desktop anyone?

23. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke TS Guru Posts: 930   +354

Correct that to 'Boot to desktop'

24. ddg4005

ddg4005 TS Guru Posts: 362   +49

Hopefully this update will improve compatibility with older games in my library. I've missed firing up Sinistar Unleashed and Descent 3 from time to time.

25. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 458   +54

I'll wait for Windows 9, thanks.