Request timed out every 70 seconds

smu122

Every 70 seconds my internet drops for 30 seconds. This recently happened when I turned off the wireless in the router settings, and then turned it back on. I am not certain that this is the cause because I kept the other settings the same. (WEP, etc). Below is the pinging I did to google.com. This problem occurs on wireless and direct ethernet as well. I am on Verizon DSL
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 4
It seems odd that this issue occurs on a direct Ethernet connection as well. Have you already performed a rolling restart?

i thought it was odd to hence i was wondering if he needed to hard re-set the router - maybe i assumed incorrectly that his modem+router was an all in one job

Cant he re-set his router VIA the manufacturer IP Address even if he has no internet connection?

Thanks for the replies,
I turned the router off for a while and turned it back on and the problem persists.
And PYGMUS, do you mind explaining how I can perform a rolling restart?
Thanks

hey Smu

um turning off the router for a while it technically a "soft reset" if you like. If you examine the router carefully you should see a small pinlike hole (smililar to one on CD drives for a force eject) where you should be able to use a paper clip to doa "hard reset".

Use a paperclip and hold it in for a few seconds and this should reset the router back to the factory defaults

james

Ill give that a try now james, I was afraid that would reset it to a brick. Thanks ill report back

it wont set it to a brick. worse case scenario you may to re-install the software/setup/drivers.

hope this sovles your problem :)

Just had a look at your router model and i vaguely remeber there an issue with the router crashing when a Firewall was enabled.

Are you currently running a firewall? if so TRY disabling it and see if that resolves your issue.

I turned off Comodo Firewall, Windows Firewall, and the Router Firewall. The connection is still dropping at those intervals....

im a bit stumped then short of going back to your supplier and asking them if there have been any changes to your account maybe???

Normally i would say must be a wireless fault as your turned the wireless on/off but as you said you tried an Ethernet cable aswell and this didn't work

Im not sure how a Rolling Restart actually works as i have never had to do one but i know you can get 30day trial of the software that does it from here

http://www.wmsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_rsform&Itemid=224

as i siad unsure of how this works so maybe more re-search on this is required. Think i may put on post on here regarding this because where i have heard of such a thing having not needed to do one i dont really know how it works,

James

Yeah, the computer connected directly through ethernet has the same stalls at exactly the same time. I guess Verizon would be the best bet Thanks for everything though, I really appreciate it.

Ill take a look at the rolling restart, At this point I have no clue of what that is ha

Well i have just submitted a thread in this forum (Storage and Networking) asking what exactly a rolling restart is and have put a link to your thread here with it incase someone knows the answer to your problem and can help.

never know maybe we will both learn somthing new :p

Oh, a rolling restart is simply turning off (unplugging works fine) both your modem and your router. Then power up only your modem and wait a minute or two until the lights generally stop flashing at regular intervals. After that, power up your router and wait a few minutes for it to re-establish a connection to your modem.

This might not fix your issue, but it has served me well countless times in the past after I changed some settings in my router. xD

Have you tested if this issue persists with other computers connected to your network?

Back