TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Request timed out every 70 seconds

By smu122 ยท 18 replies
Oct 26, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Every 70 seconds my internet drops for 30 seconds. This recently happened when I turned off the wireless in the router settings, and then turned it back on. I am not certain that this is the cause because I kept the other settings the same. (WEP, etc). Below is the pinging I did to google.com. This problem occurs on wireless and direct ethernet as well. I am on Verizon DSL
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jamesodriscoll

jamesodriscoll TS Rookie Posts: 91

Hi Smu122

have you tried re-setting your router via the router itself?

James

3. EDO219

EDO219 TS Rookie Posts: 212

It seems odd that this issue occurs on a direct Ethernet connection as well. Have you already performed a rolling restart?

4. jamesodriscoll

i thought it was odd to hence i was wondering if he needed to hard re-set the router - maybe i assumed incorrectly that his modem+router was an all in one job

Cant he re-set his router VIA the manufacturer IP Address even if he has no internet connection?

5. smu122

smu122 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Thanks for the replies,
    I turned the router off for a while and turned it back on and the problem persists.
    And PYGMUS, do you mind explaining how I can perform a rolling restart?
    Thanks

6. smu122

I'm using a router/modem (Westell VersaLink 327)

7. jamesodriscoll

hey Smu

um turning off the router for a while it technically a "soft reset" if you like. If you examine the router carefully you should see a small pinlike hole (smililar to one on CD drives for a force eject) where you should be able to use a paper clip to doa "hard reset".

Use a paperclip and hold it in for a few seconds and this should reset the router back to the factory defaults

james

8. smu122

Ill give that a try now james, I was afraid that would reset it to a brick. Thanks ill report back

9. jamesodriscoll

it wont set it to a brick. worse case scenario you may to re-install the software/setup/drivers.

hope this sovles your problem :)

10. smu122

That didn't seem to fix the problem :(

11. jamesodriscoll

Just had a look at your router model and i vaguely remeber there an issue with the router crashing when a Firewall was enabled.

Are you currently running a firewall? if so TRY disabling it and see if that resolves your issue.

12. smu122

I turned off Comodo Firewall, Windows Firewall, and the Router Firewall. The connection is still dropping at those intervals....

13. jamesodriscoll

im a bit stumped then short of going back to your supplier and asking them if there have been any changes to your account maybe???

Normally i would say must be a wireless fault as your turned the wireless on/off but as you said you tried an Ethernet cable aswell and this didn't work

14. jamesodriscoll

Im not sure how a Rolling Restart actually works as i have never had to do one but i know you can get 30day trial of the software that does it from here

http://www.wmsoftware.com/index.php?option=com_rsform&Itemid=224

as i siad unsure of how this works so maybe more re-search on this is required. Think i may put on post on here regarding this because where i have heard of such a thing having not needed to do one i dont really know how it works,

James

15. smu122

Yeah, the computer connected directly through ethernet has the same stalls at exactly the same time. I guess Verizon would be the best bet Thanks for everything though, I really appreciate it.

Ill take a look at the rolling restart, At this point I have no clue of what that is ha

16. jamesodriscoll

Well i have just submitted a thread in this forum (Storage and Networking) asking what exactly a rolling restart is and have put a link to your thread here with it incase someone knows the answer to your problem and can help.

never know maybe we will both learn somthing new :p

17. smu122

Awesome, Thanks! Hopefully we can get some good feedback

18. EDO219

EDO219 TS Rookie Posts: 212

Oh, a rolling restart is simply turning off (unplugging works fine) both your modem and your router. Then power up only your modem and wait a minute or two until the lights generally stop flashing at regular intervals. After that, power up your router and wait a few minutes for it to re-establish a connection to your modem.

This might not fix your issue, but it has served me well countless times in the past after I changed some settings in my router. xD

Have you tested if this issue persists with other computers connected to your network?

19. jamesodriscoll

ta for that PYGMUS

so THATS wot one is and i do those on a very regular basis and i didn't know what one was lol