Research team designs and builds a disk drive that stores data for a million years

By Justin Kahn
Oct 22, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. A research team out of the Netherlands has produced a storage medium that can last a million years. Standard magnetic disk drive storage, which was introduced nearly 70 years ago by IBM, has improved significantly over the years in many...

Read more
  2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Oh man. This is just cool.
  3. LukeDJ

LukeDJ TS Maniac Posts: 350   +112

**** that, I don't want reptilian humanoids looking over the filth on my hard drive millions of years from now.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  4. ypsylon

ypsylon TS Enthusiast Posts: 69   +9

Bring it on. If it can survive well over 400K then it should survive accidental drops and other everyday annoyances.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Whats the point? Everything of importance will need to be maintained and copied to new media as it is invented. I highly doubt anyone reading storage one hundred years later, would know how to interpret the data anyway. All data will need to be converted as time goes on, in order to maintain interpretation capabilities.

Everyone storing their images as PCX, I wonder how much trouble they are having after only 20 years, viewing their files? Imagine how much more difficult it will be after another 20 years. For the images to survive, they need to be converted and stored again on current media and in current formats.
  6. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

One problem I found:
    "The team created a tungsten disk, struck with fine etched lines and coated in what is called silicon nitride (a chemical compound often used as an insulation or barrier in electronics circuits), that they claim has achieved this."
    to write something again to the tungsten disk, the user needs to scratch the silicon nitride coating and afterwards, re-coat it.
    lol, creation of new job: silicon nitride painter.
  7. misor

misor TS Evangelist Posts: 1,157   +195

batman etched his data on a metallic/steel material; that way, future arkham policemen find the way to defeat the reanimated dr. freeze. :)
  8. t3chn0vamp

t3chn0vamp TS Booster Posts: 128   +19

Great discovery but no use for a regular user. Make a drive that can last for 80-90 years.
  9. RenGood08

RenGood08 TS Booster Posts: 185   +13

Wow...incredible stuff!