Researcher claims Apple isn't encrypting email attachments in iOS 7

Justin Kahn

Apple currently states that "an additional layer of protection for your email messages attachments, and third-party applications," is in place on iOS 7, but according to a security researcher this is not the case. Andreas Kurtz said in versions of iOS 7 email attachments within the stock Mail app are in fact not covered by Apple's data protection mechanism.

According to the researcher the bug is present in iOS 7, 7.0.4, 7.1, and the latest 7.1.1, contrary to what Apple says on its site. Kurtz initially surfaced with this data after iOS 7.1.1 released last month, but is just now making headlines.

"I verified this issue by restoring an iPhone 4 (GSM) device to the most recent iOS versions (7.1 and 7.1.1) and setting up an IMAP email account1, which provided me with some test emails and attachments. Afterwards, I shut down the device and accessed the file system using well-known techniques (DFU mode, custom ramdisk, SSH over usbmux)." Kurtz wrote on his blog. "Finally, I mounted the iOS data partition and navigated to the actual email folder. Within this folder, I found all attachments accessible without any encryption/restriction:"

While most average consumers may not be overly concerned with email attachment encryption, this kind of a bug could be a somewhat major issue for enterprise clients with extremely sensitive content being passed around.

Kurtz reached out to Apple and apparently the company said it is aware of the problem but did offer a time frame in which it would be patched.

Some believe a data protection bug of this nature should have been spotted and fixed a long time ago, and that Apple has likely already been working on the fix. For a more technical breakdown of the data protection bug and a possible workaround until Apple gets a patch out, head over to Kurtz's blog post.

Permalink to story.

Eh I find it horrible how this has slipped numerous patches since the release of iOS 7. I would have expected it to be patched in 7.1 or even at worse 7.1.1. Hopefully 7.1.2 is inbound.

Eh I find it horrible how this has slipped numerous patches since the release of iOS 7. I would have expected it to be patched in 7.1 or even at worse 7.1.1. Hopefully 7.1.2 is inbound.
It shouldn't impact you in the least, you don't seem like the 'secret services' type. :)

Hmm; Two types of encryption;
(a) transmission to/from the post-office (aka https or encryption directly on smtp port) vs.
(b) encryption on the users end-point system as stored on the hd.

for (a), all one needs to verify is the absence of port 25 in the smtp configuration of the users email client program.

for (b) - - imo, all bets are off and that would be a function of the email client OR the use of something like PGP
{where the sender encrypts the the body of the email and then attaches it to the email; the receiver then gets a protected attachment on disk and is responsible to decrypt it him/her self}

Of course, one could enable the MS EFS service, but that's a major pit-fall in and of itself!!

I think there is a misunderstanding by the user here.

In this story:
There are several methods available to hackers allowing them to access an iPhone's files even when it is locked and protected with a passcode. In theory, those files should be encrypted -- appearing as a jumbled mess of numbers and letters. But Kurtz found that email attachments aren't, in fact, encrypted. Kurtz was able to access email attachments on a locked iPhone 4 -- just by plugging it into a computer and using some passcode-bypassing software.
So, Apple wants to store email encrypted, but has failed in their email client. Too bad, as obviously that is highly desirable with mobile devices susceptible to loss or being stolen.

btw: mounting device A on system B and using B to access A's data has been a LONG loophole in security as the filesystem permissions and the ACLs are useless.

Back