Researchers build the world's first 1,000-core processor

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Researchers with the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at UC Davis have developed an energy-efficient KiloCore processor that, as the name implies, features 1,000 processing cores.

Built by IBM, the KiloCore has a maximum computation rate of 1.78 trillion instructions per second and contains 621 million transistors. Although built on a dated 32-nanometer manfuacturing process, the chip is still rather efficient as individual cores can shut themselves down when not needed.

Bevan Baas, a professor of electrical and computer engineering who led the team that designed the chip, said it can execute 115 billion instructions per second while dissipating only 0.7 watts – low enough to be powered by a single AA battery. Even as today’s fastest consumer processors have moved to the 14-nanometer FinFET process, the KiloCore executes instructions more than 100 times more efficiently than, say, the CPU you’d find in a modern laptop.

To the best of their knowledge, Bass added, this is the world’s first 1,000-processor chip and it is the highest clock-rate processor ever designed in a university with cores operating at an average clock frequency of 1.78GHz.

The chip is already being used in the areas of wireless coding / decoding, encryption and video processing which involve large amounts of parallel data processing. It could also be useful in the areas of scientific data applications and datacenter record processing, we’re told.

Permalink to story.

Finally, a system that can give me all my answers before I have even thought of the questions ...... impressive!

Very impressive. What would be more impressive is if it can be used for machine learning and artifical intelligence. I see skynet coming quicker than thought with something like this. Imagine researching and creating warp drives for space ships or 3d mapping entire planets before even landing in minutes would be super. I am willing to bet this chip and others before it would be able to crack our most difficult problems in seconds and even break the speed of light for us to travel to distant places

Very impressive. What would be more impressive is if it can be used for machine learning and artifical intelligence. I see skynet coming quicker than thought with something like this. Imagine researching and creating warp drives for space ships or 3d mapping entire planets before even landing in minutes would be super. I am willing to bet this chip and others before it would be able to crack our most difficult problems in seconds and even break the speed of light for us to travel to distant places

We already have supercomputers that are way more powerful than this individual chip. 1000 cores on a single chip is remarkable, and it seems is very power efficient as well, but as far as raw computational abilities go, this is not even on the radar. But your sentiment is right. Having a super powerful computer to crack our hardest problems is pretty damn exciting.

Is this what I think it is? A processor that might be able to run Ark: Survival Evolved with a decent framerate?

Maybe. The only problem is that your GPU, RAM, and PCIe 3.0 bandwidth are going to bottleneck the processor. Personally, I am going to wait until Nvidia releases the GTX 5770 Ti and some reasonably priced DDR7 drops.

Pfff Skynet will blow those specs away.

GTFO with your cloud computing nonsense. Everyone knows that stuff isn't secure.

You clearly failed to comprehend that my post was a joke. I was jokingly referencing Skynet from the movie Terminator. No where did I mentioned cloud computing.

You clearly failed to comprehend that my post was a joke. I was jokingly referencing Skynet from the movie Terminator. No where did I mentioned cloud computing.

I responded to your joke with another joke...

We already have supercomputers that are way more powerful than this individual chip. 1000 cores on a single chip is remarkable, and it seems is very power efficient as well, but as far as raw computational abilities go, this is not even on the radar. But your sentiment is right. Having a super powerful computer to crack our hardest problems is pretty damn exciting.
I dont think you understand. having a 1000core chip with cores running parallel is incredible and I will bet only a few of these can topple a supercomputer in terms of pure computational power. most people wont grasp at how really powerful this is until some real world tests are run and shown

Back