Researchers develop rapid-charging hybrid supercapacitors

Shawn Knight

Staff member

scientists battery science graphene mobile devices battery technology recharge supercapacitors capacitors hybrid supercapacitors manganese dioxide alkaline battery

The rise in popularity of mobile devices has prioritized research of battery technology. With each new breakthrough, we’re one step closer to eliminating a barrier that has held back mobile devices for far too long.

The latest advancement from UCLA’s California NanoSystems Institute involves the creation of a new energy storage medium by combining two nanoparticles to extract the best qualities from supercapacitors and batteries.

As Phys.org points out, supercapacitors are electrochemical components capable of charging up in seconds versus hours and have a lifespan of around one million recharge cycles. Unfortunately, supercapacitors aren’t capable of storing enough energy to power today’s mobile devices.

scientists battery science graphene mobile devices battery technology recharge supercapacitors capacitors hybrid supercapacitors manganese dioxide alkaline battery

By combining the two, the team of researchers were able to create a hybrid supercapacitor capable of storing large amounts of energy that can be rapidly recharged more than 10,000 times.

Furthermore, the team created a microsupercapacitor measuring one-fifth the thickness of a sheet of paper that is capable of fitting inside wearable devices and even implantable gadgets. This tiny wonder combines laser-scribed graphene with manganese dioxide, a common component of alkaline batteries that can hold a lot of charge, is cheap and readily available. Impressively, the microsupercapacitor can hold more than twice the charge of a typical thin-film lithium battery.

Richard Kaner, the chemistry and biochemistry professor that led the study, said it shows a great deal of promise in real-world applications and they are excited about the possibilities for greatly improving personal electronics in the near future.

Permalink to story.

Unfortunately, PhysOrg is not always known for the best of articles, but this time, it is not their fault. From the title of the article, one might think that this is a combination of battery and supercapacitor. However, I think the title refers to the fact that the materials are graphene and manganese dioxide. Since this charges in seconds, it also sounds like this does not utilize any sort of traditional battery. If this is the case and this actually gets commercialized, then this may well be really big.

10k charges is not enough if it completely dies after that. but if its like most batteries it will just take a bit longer and hold less of a charge after it peaks

10k charges is not enough if it completely dies after that. but if its like most batteries it will just take a bit longer and hold less of a charge after it peaks
So presuming a battery like this needs to be charged once a day like almost every current phone, 28 years of charging isn't enough for you?

Another SUPER UBER battery. I see these breakthrough once a month since 2006 and there is little to no progress on any battery in any device. Seriously this is a joke.
Yeah. I take these battery breakthrough articles with an unhealthy dose of salt. Battery tech hasn't really progressed since the lead-acid battery days.

Another pie in the sky battery breakthrough. It's like those carbon nanotubes that were supposed to revolutionize everything from micro processors to creating space elevators. I'll believe this new battery technology as soon as I see it being sold at Best Buy or it's in my next tablet. Until then, piss off!

So presuming a battery like this needs to be charged once a day like almost every current phone, 28 years of charging isn't enough for you?
People will likely use and charge their phones way more if it only takes a few seconds... Your right though even at 6 times a day the battery would last around 5 years.

People will likely use and charge their phones way more if it only takes a few seconds... Your right though even at 6 times a day the battery would last around 5 years.
And even at 24 charges a day, the battery will outlast the phone generation =P

Back