Researchers discover new method to send data across fiber optic lines

By Shawn Knight
May 28, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. High-speed Internet – I’m talking data links between continents – is already blazing fast compared to what most people are used to but researchers have found a way to make it even faster by improving the overall reliability of the signal.

Read more
  2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,815   +702

It sounds good. I'm all for anything that speeds up the internet except the cost from my back pocket.
  3. jonelsorel

jonelsorel Newcomer, in training Posts: 72

Uhm.. this is using the exact same principle employed in balanced audio (XLR), humbucker pickups in electric guitars, etc..
    mosu likes this.
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,769   +1,427

I don't understand the concept of noise canceling a digital signal. When a digital signal is comprised of only 0's and 1's, how can you cancel out interference? It's not as if a third state in binary can be introduced to counter a stray signal.

Perhaps the answer lies within my confusion of phase conjugation.
  5. The interpreted signal is digital (0's and 1's) but the real signal is analog. When noise is added a binary digit might be interpreted wrong so a dirty zero become a 1 an vice versa. Hope this helps :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.