TechSpot

Researchers in China use light bulbs as a speedy alternative to Wi-Fi

By Shawn Knight
Oct 18, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Scientists at Shanghai's Institute of Technical Physics have developed a light bulb that produces its own Wi-Fi signal. Aptly named Li-Fi, the connection it produces is said to actually work better than the average wireless connection in China. Talk about...

Read more

2. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

This is so cool.

3. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,648   +521

Scenario: Playing some online game, whatever you fancy, your doing good when all of a sudden your cat/dog/pet of choice walks in front of the light source resulting in a dropped connection. Instinctively most gamers will then remove said animal by any means necessary, open window? Waste basket? heck its china maybe you'll eat your pet, joking of course on the last one, anything will do to go back to gaming. Cool bit of tech none the less, might be useful for sending connection to remote area.

4. Lionvibez

Lionvibez TS Evangelist Posts: 1,101   +345

umm this shouldn't happen unless your pets walk on the ceiling :)

Uvindu likes this.
  5. Filament bulbs are banned in many EU countries due to their inefficiency, so I hope they develop an LED version.

6. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 3,540   +2,337

"If the idea of the technology alone wasn?t cool enough, another benefit is the fact that it?s affordable. All you need is a light bulb and the Li-Fi kit."

I don't know where you come from, but where I come from, affordability without a price quote is naturally dubious.

I knew a cat once that occasionally walked on the ceiling; walked upright when he was on the ground, too... Something wasn't right about him. Never could quite place it, though. Anyways, my point is that these things can happen. One minute you're enjoying some intense online gaming, the next you're ripping your hair out as your satanic kitty spitefully mocks you from above. Don't ever underestimate the potential frustration of pets.

7. Holyscrap

Holyscrap TS Enthusiast Posts: 41   +12

The technology uses an LED bulb, the picture is misleading.

8. Did you read the article friend? The first sentence states it's a "1 Watt LED" light bulb.;)

9. mosu

mosu TS Guru Posts: 422   +48

Cool light or warm light? because I like them warm...

10. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,550   +2,894

I prefer them as white as possible.

11. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,951   +162

This is amazing. By the way most modern video games let you disconnect for a moment. Are those bums standing around a that barrel? No just kids getting wifi.

12. Ligh bulb, I just had an idea , lol. =)

13. An early testing phase

we use this 30 years ago, lol, not in test phase but daily working
    back to the future