Reseatted RAM followed with no response from monitor

Hey guys,

Today I tried to install a new RAM card into my old PC. I took out the older two modules and put in two new (from another computer I don't use) RAM modules into the motherboard. At first I had trouble trying to insert the RAM and realized I did incorrectly, however it took me a while to notice this and I may have used to much force trying to insert the modules and may have damaged something.

The problem that I have is when I turn on the computer the monitor does not detect an signal. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the monitor as I checked it with my lap top. I have tried using the computer I used and it still does not work (it may just be broken, most likely).

I have tried reseatting the RAM but that's about it. I have tried swapping around every possible combination of the RAM modules, even back to the preliminary set up and the monitor still won't respond.

Hopefully when I turn it on tomorrow in the morning this won't be a problem.

Thanks guys,

John

The answer here is that the motherboard may now be damaged.
But it's worth trying a few things.
Did the pc work before you changed the RAM?
RAM taken from another machine may not work in another, even if it's good, working RAM.
Are both of your PC's using the same type of RAM, ie DDR2 or DDR or earlier?
RAM sticks are made with certain designs of 'keyways' along the gold edge connector, so that the wrong type cannot be fitted.
Do you think the RAM boards went into the sockets fully and the clips at the ends went into place?

I have seen some stupid slots that don't have a stopper preventing the memory module to go up & down. Usually, if the plastic hinge has guides that make it impossible to move the RAM modules up & down, along their length, it's pretty clear when you put it the wrong way.

However there are these hinges that let the memory modules slide through them a bit (not all the way, but still 1 or 2 mm), so you can actually fit the notch with the slot's notch and still have it the wrong way around.

I would check if this happened, because powering on with reversed RAM modules can damage the motherboard.

See in the picture, some slots have that thing cut open and the module can slide through.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4
@mike1959 The PC did work before I changed the RAM and I'm pretty sure both set of RAM were DDR2.

@sinkekt I checked the hinges on the computer and it doesn't have guides so its most probable that I powered on the computer with reversed RAM.

So I'll just take it that I damaged the motherboard and I should probably look into getting a new computer. If anything at all can I salvage the HD and hope I can still access it as there's a lot of important files on it still.

Thanks for your help guys I really do appreciate it,

New Issue

Alright,

So on my older computer which I haven't used for who knows how long, I had the same issue with no monitor response. So I tried mixing the RAM combinations and finally got the computer to work. The issue is socket closest to the CD drive/HD works when I put in a module, but when inserting a second module into the second socket closer to the power supply I get no response from the monitor.

Does this mean I have a bad socket, and can it be replaced?

Thanks again.

Update

For some unknown reason, just as everything was working on this computer, the PC restarted and now I'm back to square on with no monitor response again. Is this now an issue of bad RAM modules, and should I purchase new ones?

Sounds as if the first RAM board is ok, when you put the second one in, that one is faulty, so stops everything working, ( the motherboard detects a problem and shuts the pc down.)
You may have to run it with one RAM board in, till you can get a replacement DDR2 board. It is possible with some motherboards, that if using one RAM board, it must be in a certain slot. It used to be a rule that RAM slot labelled 'DIMM 0' had to be used first. But more modern boards are not so fussy.
It's just possible the RAM is ok, but the socket is faulty.

Back