Resetting ip on networked laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

souton

my laptop is connected through a Buffalo router via rj45 cord. i want to change the ip on this laptop. would i need to call my isp or is there a way i can through a router. and if so can anyone help

adding a router will give you a different IP, but what makes you think your IP
address should be changed?

if you need your friends to find your system, have you seen DynDNS.com?

I got banned from a multiplayer server a long time ago, and it bans by IP...was looking to change it so i can get back in.

If your ban was unjustified, take it up with an administrator of the server. If it was justified, then you got what you deserved.

In any case, we won't help you avoid security measures put in place by other people.

nothing wrong with changing an IP. and yes, it was unjustified. in fact i wasnt even at the laptop, i think i was banned for just being AFK. ive tried signing up with their forums a few times to dispute it, but no confirmation mail was ever sent. since no one wants to help, if anyone else would like to pm me with a link to a different website that will help me, then please feel free thanks

from what I know there is a chance if your isp offerss dynamic ip's. if you have a static ip then you will have to live with that.
a possible way would be to connect over an internet proxy server. there is alot of tools flying around which you need to install and connect to a proxy server from a list. then you will have access to the game server with a different ip but you might have some packet loss and a higher ping...

my two cents
mscrx

you can't set your public IP address as you don't OWN it -- you lease it from your ISP.

Even if you register a domain name, the registrar assigns the IP address.

DHCP gives dynamic address from the ISP pool.

Didou has the correct approach and any other is 'hacking' by anyother name.

Next time be more compliant with the hosting admin's rules and you will have no
problems playing with your friends.

hum; one more thought; to have friends you need to be a friend and play well with others :wink:

just to explain my statement. there are alot of isp's in europe which use dynamic ip's for their clients. so on every connect you get a new ip out of their pool. I didn't mean for him to actively change his ip.

hope this explains the idea I was after
mscrx

to the people who said i should obey the admin rules, etc. Ive been gaming for about 10 years over the internet and I'm a legit player. I've always respected the rules of the server...unless its a bogus server, then i just leave..always been like that. and yes i get banned all the time for basically just being too good sometimes, whoop dee do. all i ask is that you think before you type..not trying to start anything. go about your business and i will mine.... anyways, back to the situation.. even though the router gave me an ip for the laptop, there is no way i can change it? i don't believe that, considering i've gone through different IPs with the router. (not talking about my actual modem). another thing- even if i did change the ip on the laptop, would i still be banned(asking if it actually reads from the actual modem ip and not the router ip) thanks

@souton there is saying:

if luck becomes usual its called skill
if skill becomes usual its call cheating

:)

well, back to the problem. you're right changing your laptops ip from the router wouldn't help with the ban because the ip you have from your ip is the one which got banned. thats why I was saying to ask if the isp can give you a different ip from their pool if they use static ip addresses for their customers.
the other idea would be as cosmos100 says, change the isp. but I don't see the effort in that for a game. I was playing online games for almost 6 years and well, the servers I got banned weren't worth a return and I had dynamic ip.
personally I think that its always the same in the virtual and the real life. you have to live with the stupidity of the others... :)

wish you good luck and hopefully you find a way with your isp to get you back to were you want to play.

regards, mscrx

thanks for your reply mscrx,

I'm not worried about it too much, because i play other games. so its no biggie, but have thought about it for awhile so I posted. i will probably ask my ISP to change my IP over the phone, no harm in asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back